• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
Hello, I was just wondering what kind of hay people get, where they get it from and how much it costs. When I went into asda the other day it was nearly £5 for a tiny Weeny bale which wouldn't done my rabbits 2 days.
I get big rectangular bales like this,
Buddy1999
[/URL][/IMG]
For £7 and it lasts me for ages because the hay is all compacted together.

Hay for pets hay :thumb: the 9.5kg bag of Timothy and rye and the ings hay :)

I buy the meadow hay from wilkos as they like to munch on that and the 3kg bag of hay from Asda for £4 or 3.5kg bag from The Range for £3,99 and that's used to pad out their litter trays so lasts me a few weeks.

I, too, buy bales. Got one today and the price had gone down again. Now £5.95 for about 4-6 weeks (generous) supply. Bargain.

I have hay for pets Ings hay ATM, it's lastin me forever, the biggest bag, at first buns wernt so sure but now they like it :) I also buy bales for £4

I get H4P Timothy and Rye hay - a 9.5kg bag lasts me 2 weeks. I also get some occasionally from the local feed place, £3 for about 3-4kg I think, but the buns dont like eating that so its just to pad out their beds to make the H4P hay last longer.

I also buy Readigrass and Burns Green Oat hay, and sometimes the Vitacraft hays.

Wish I could store a bale! Would be sooo much cheaper!

i can't get or store proper bales - they'd be difficult to take on the bus!
i use asda's 3.5kg @ £4.95 - one a week, plus some herbage1 kg £4.75ish, alfalfa - no idea how much i get but it's £7:99- 1kg p@h timothy with bits in £4.99, readigrass £2.95 a bag don't know how much there is in it lasts for ages as they don't have much, a sprinkling of dandelion hay £3 and i have used wilko's 1.5kg for 2.50. we would also be having burns green oat but there isn't any at the suppliers right now.

I'm using the timothy hay from Wilkinsons at the moment. Had lots of different hay and Doughnut prefers the timothy hay. I've got it from dust free hay and also hay 4 pets but I get hayfever and I've found it worse when I get a bigger bag rather than the smaller ones from pets at home or Wilkinsons.

I didn't know Asda did hay! May try them next.

Also, I bought a HUGE bag/bale of readigrass from Dobbies garden centre aaaages ago and we aren't even half way :lol: it was £12 whereas before I was buying the small bags for £5 so it was worth it!

i can't get or store proper bales - they'd be difficult to take on the bus!
i use asda's 3.5kg @ £4.95 - one a week, plus some herbage1 kg £4.75ish, alfalfa - no idea how much i get but it's £7:99- 1kg p@h timothy with bits in £4.99, readigrass £2.95 a bag don't know how much there is in it lasts for ages as they don't have much, a sprinkling of dandelion hay £3 and i have used wilko's 1.5kg for 2.50. we would also be having burns green oat but there isn't any at the suppliers right now.

Some places will deliver ;)

I was using Helme's Hay for my rabbits bedding which is uncut so nice long hay ideal for burrowing underneath, but my local pet shop has stopped supplying it. They are now going to be supplying the Comfey Pet hay. Does anyone know if it is the cut or uncut variety?

Also I've seen the people recommend Hay for Pets, what is the meadow hay like, is it good for bedding, cut or uncut? If it's the uncut long variety I might order it online instead. Unfortunately I can't get a gaint bale as I don't have the storage space.

For eating, I give about 3 or 4 different Timothy and Meadow Hays, all mixed together. I think at the moment it is Burgess Forage, Woodlands Chamomile Harvest Hay and some nice sweet smelling golden meadow hay, This seems to be more pleasing to my rabbits who practically jumps on it as soon as we put it in the hutch.

Back