• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Blockage

Lucy1666

Mama Doe
My rabbit Amy on Tuesday wouldnt eat many pellets so that afternoon took her to the vets and said she had a blockage which they gave her a gut stimulant and gave us some to take home and said to feed her more fresh veg grass etc and to come bk on friday:(

went bk today and got told it was no different shes still very bunged up and now they think theres a underlaying health problem :cry::cry:
got told to continue as usually with the freash diet and pinaple juice
my mum was blaming it on being spayed and the vet said it was highly unlikely that it was to do with that but wouldnt rule it out
feel awful for amy how can i help her pass this :cry:
she was spayed at 2 and a half years old

Last edited:
Is it a FULL blockage?

If it genuinely is a blockage then a gut stimulant isn't usually the right treatment. I'm getting the impression that your vet isn't very rabbit savvy as giving pineapple juice (a lot of sugar) to rabbit with an already compromised digestive system also is a bad thing to do.

For a blockage your rabbit really needs intensive treatment and to be given fluids etc. Has she been x-rayed?

Can you maybe seek more expert advice, perhaps get a referral to Harcourt-Brown's (Crab Lane Vets), in Harrogate?

There is a *possibility* that spaying may have contributed to this in that surgical adhesions *could* be a factor but that's only a slight possibility.

I really would seek more expert veterinary opinion, quickly. Again the seeing a rabbit who is diagnosed with a blockage and not having a follow up appointment until 3 days later rings alarm bells.

How is Amy in herself? Is she quite bright or really behaving very subdued and unwell?

Is it a FULL blockage?

If it genuinely is a blockage then a gut stimulant isn't usually the right treatment. I'm getting the impression that your vet isn't very rabbit savvy as giving pineapple juice (a lot of sugar) to rabbit with an already compromised digestive system also is a bad thing to do.

For a blockage your rabbit really needs intensive treatment and to be given fluids etc. Has she been x-rayed?

Can you maybe seek more expert advice, perhaps get a referral to Harcourt-Brown's (Crab Lane Vets), in Harrogate?

There is a *possibility* that spaying may have contributed to this in that surgical adhesions *could* be a factor but that's only a slight possibility.

I really would seek more expert veterinary opinion, quickly. Again the seeing a rabbit who is diagnosed with a blockage and not having a follow up appointment until 3 days later rings alarm bells.

How is Amy in herself? Is she quite bright or really behaving very subdued and unwell?

shes really active still eating jumping about as usualy and pooing as well i was thinking of going to the other vets in pickering but this one is surpose to be rabbit savvy :( but they said nothing about any tests or scans

Bless her - exactly what symptoms is she showing at the moment?

Has she had pain relief and/or fluids? Did the vet check her teeth?

If no to any of the above, I would seek a second opinion this evening, a rabbit with a gut slowdown for whatever reason is an emergency as they can go downhill extremely quickly, and with the weekend coming up personally I would want her seen and potentially medicated differently today.

A true blockage is a medical emergency and can require surgery to remove the blockage, but from what you're saying it doesn't sound as if this is a true blockage. Gut slowdown and reluctance to eat pellets could be caused by many other things, most commonly a dental problem causing pickiness of food. This still requires urgent treatment as a smaller food intake than normal can then result in gut slowdown/stoppage. Pain relief is essential to allow the bunny to feel well enough to eat, and fluids rehydrate the gut contents which may have started to turn like concrete as the gut slows down.

Good luck, please do keep us posted and I hope your little one is ok xx

Bless her - exactly what symptoms is she showing at the moment?

Has she had pain relief and/or fluids? Did the vet check her teeth?

If no to any of the above, I would seek a second opinion this evening, a rabbit with a gut slowdown for whatever reason is an emergency as they can go downhill extremely quickly, and with the weekend coming up personally I would want her seen and potentially medicated differently today.

A true blockage is a medical emergency and can require surgery to remove the blockage, but from what you're saying it doesn't sound as if this is a true blockage. Gut slowdown and reluctance to eat pellets could be caused by many other things, most commonly a dental problem causing pickiness of food. This still requires urgent treatment as a smaller food intake than normal can then result in gut slowdown/stoppage. Pain relief is essential to allow the bunny to feel well enough to eat, and fluids rehydrate the gut contents which may have started to turn like concrete as the gut slows down.

Good luck, please do keep us posted and I hope your little one is ok xx

Pain relief no
fluids yes
teeth checked and there fine
its a blockage but not a true blockage ::cry:
has gut stimulant atm too
fresh diet as well
shes fine in herself atm but its a big worry :cry:

Poor Amy. I would maybe get her back to the vet to see if they can give you anything else they can give her to get it moving along and find out exactly what is going on. Somebody on here with more experience with this maybe able to help more. I hope she gets well soon

Poor Amy. I would maybe get her back to the vet to see if they can give you anything else they can give her to get it moving along and find out exactly what is going on. Somebody on here with more experience with this maybe able to help more. I hope she gets well soon

they said to only take her bk if she stoped eating so might book into another vets for a scan or soemthing

and thanks for the get well soon i hope she does :cry::cry:

I would definitely go to Frances Harcourt Browns in Harrogate - the bun should have had some diagnostic imaging by now (xrays/scans etc)

You need an excellent rabbit vet to get to the bottom of this

If you take her back to the vet's get the vet to take her blood sugar levels if they haven't .

I don't know where you are in North Yorkshire but we use Honor Etherington at Vet's for Pets in Fulwell in Sunderland and she is very very good with rabbits we have 25 rabbits
so we obviously want a good vet and she operated on our Rosie who had a serious blockage at Christmas last year

I would certainly get another opinion from another vet.

Sending her lots of Vibes xxxxxx

If you take her back to the vet's get the vet to take her blood sugar levels if they haven't .

I don't know where you are in North Yorkshire but we use Honor Etherington at Vet's for Pets in Fulwell in Sunderland and she is very very good with rabbits we have 25 rabbits
so we obviously want a good vet and she operated on our Rosie who had a serious blockage at Christmas last year

I would certainly get another opinion from another vet.

Sending her lots of Vibes xxxxxx

Im in basically in the middle of nowhere which makes it all the more worse :cry:
i have 3 vets nearbyish all at least a half a hour drive away tho so not really nearby
Clevedale Vet in whitby - not rabbit savy
Wilton Vet in Guisborough - went there with amy tuesday and today
Eastgate Vet in Pickering - off there tomorrow for second opionion booked in at 11.20 i hope they can at least say a bit more than wilton

if this doesnt work dunno what else i can do :cry:

Im in basically in the middle of nowhere which makes it all the more worse :cry:
i have 3 vets nearbyish all at least a half a hour drive away tho so not really nearby
Clevedale Vet in whitby - not rabbit savy
Wilton Vet in Guisborough - went there with amy tuesday and today
Eastgate Vet in Pickering - off there tomorrow for second opionion booked in at 11.20 i hope they can at least say a bit more than wilton

if this doesnt work dunno what else i can do :cry:

There are more treatment options, but exactly what will depend on the precise location of the impaction.

I dont have time to type out a lengthy post at the moment, but take a look at these links which may be useful :

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2008/lecture10/70.pdf?LA=1

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...s-Proce/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/562363

Update

when to eastgate vets today for a second opionion they felt her underneath and said its very abnormal and were very surprised she was still eating drinking and pooing like normal so they said to bring her back for a xray on monday at 9am to find out what it is lucky im off so can take her in but im out of money after this xray and the urine cystal litter i had to pay for i hope its just poo they see and that it will pass naturally evetually :(

for now shes eating drinking and pooing as normal and active so just to keep up with the freash diet for now and to brign a sample on monday

I hope you get good news today.

Update

It is a adhesions apparently which can happen in females after being spayed she had a xray which was kinda unclear but didnt show a poo or hair build up shes on anti inflametary liquid and have to weigh her weekly to maintain her weight
shes still eating pooing and drinking
she hates the liquid we have to syringy in tho cleches her teeth poor girl :(

the vets dont know how long she has left :(
the x ray has been sent of to a leading rabbit vet in harrogate for her view

bascially it is where the scar tissue from the spay/hysterectomy actually grows across the colon wall. :cry:

has anyone had a bun thats had this before the vet had only had cows that had had this before

Back