• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dusty Hay

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
The hay is awful this year and dusty. The hay man said it would be dustier this year, something to do with the ground being so damp? Can someone enlighten me?

I would have thought that damp would have made the hay less dusty? :?

Mine's alright so far but I'm about to run out of this batch so maybe the next batch will be more dusty ...

I got a lovely bale last time but once the farmer gave me the dustiest bale it was horrible and I ended up chucking it away. I'm not sure if its how they store it or the type of grass or if you get the stuff on the bottom or the top of the pile or if its something to do with the age of it?

Is it dust as in crumbled bits of hay or a fine spray of dust every time you pull hay?

If it is a fine mist, please THROW IT AWAY!! If the farmer is saying the hay was baled damp then it is very likely your hay is mouldy. If this is the case, prolonged exposure to the spores (dust) is the cause of farmers lung.

Regardless of the weather, damp and fusty hay should never be sold! We had awful weather here too, but we still have dry hay. It isn't nutritionally as good as the hay crop last year as it was cut and baled later, and there is only just enough to last but it ain't mouldy.

A silver grey patch in the bale, dark brown or black places or a smell similar to tobacco are all signs of dangerous hay.
Please be careful!

It's a fine spray. I'm stuck as to know what to do. Being on the IOW and using 3 bales a week I have to rely on hay which can be delivered. The buns are not eating as much which is really worrying. Thanks for your help - I will have to think of what to do.

I think the dusty because of damp thing can be because mud is more likely to get on the hay as it is baled, and will dry to dust which looks and smells different to mould dust (more earthy smell). I'm trying to think how to describe the smell of mouldy hay but it's pretty unique :? Have ever been to a house that has damp? Or opened a mouldy loaf of bread? That's the most similar smells I can think of!

I think the dusty because of damp thing can be because mud is more likely to get on the hay as it is baled, and will dry to dust which looks and smells different to mould dust (more earthy smell). I'm trying to think how to describe the smell of mouldy hay but it's pretty unique :? Have ever been to a house that has damp? Or opened a mouldy loaf of bread? That's the most similar smells I can think of!

That's interesting - no the hay isn't mouldy just dustier than normal and stalkier. Thanks.

Back