• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone feed Supreme's VetCare Digestive Health?

nessar

Warren Veteran
If you do, how have you found it in comparison to other foods? Have you compared it with Fibafirst? Why do you use it?

And could you tell me the nutritional info? I cant find it online - mainly I'm after the protein content and calcium content but everything would be good if you have it.

I'm compiling a list of foods and their nutritional info that I want to present to the vet next week, to help choose one that will help Barney's gut problems.

I feed this food to my two girls. They suffer from frequent GI stasis episodes (even being on a great diet of hay and SS regular pellets), so I thought I'd try it. They have 3-4 long pellets in the morning and have their regular SS pellets in the evening (for some unknown reason, they'll only eat the digestive pellets for breakfast :| ). I introduced them a couple of months back and haven't had a stasis episode since and their poos seem a lot healthy too (more golden and more rounded (they used to be dark and odd shaped)). It took a while to get them eating on their own, I first had to hand feed them to encourage them to eat them, but mine are fussy bunnies. However, it was definitely worth it.

I haven't tried Fibafirst, however any new bunnies I get will be changed straight onto this, because I believe this new style of pellet is better for bunnies (just my opinion). :)

http://supremepetfoodsus.com/product/vetcareplus-digestive-health/
this website has the analysis and ingredient list.

Hi LionHeadLover

I just wondered where you got the Digestive food from and I am thinking about trying the Urinary version and cant find anywhere online that sells it without paying nearly the same again for postage.

Hi LionHeadLover

I just wondered where you got the Digestive food from and I am thinking about trying the Urinary version and cant find anywhere online that sells it without paying nearly the same again for postage.

I'm not loionheadlover but it is available on www.thehayexperts.com

I usually get a large order so get my pellets at the same time.

I feed this food to my two girls. They suffer from frequent GI stasis episodes (even being on a great diet of hay and SS regular pellets), so I thought I'd try it. They have 3-4 long pellets in the morning and have their regular SS pellets in the evening (for some unknown reason, they'll only eat the digestive pellets for breakfast :| ). I introduced them a couple of months back and haven't had a stasis episode since and their poos seem a lot healthy too (more golden and more rounded (they used to be dark and odd shaped)). It took a while to get them eating on their own, I first had to hand feed them to encourage them to eat them, but mine are fussy bunnies. However, it was definitely worth it.

I haven't tried Fibafirst, however any new bunnies I get will be changed straight onto this, because I believe this new style of pellet is better for bunnies (just my opinion). :)

http://supremepetfoodsus.com/product/vetcareplus-digestive-health/
this website has the analysis and ingredient list.

Thank you :) For some reason I couldnt find that page on Supremes website, d'oh! Yes, I've used Fibafirst in the past, and really liked it (I too believe it is better, especially because they eat it in a more natural way, like they would eat hay or forage, rather than how they eat pellets/treats, if that makes sense), but I changed to junior pellets when Barney had incontinence and snuffles and lost weight - as the medication wasn't easy to put on fibafirst and the junior food was to put weight on him. (I don't for one moment think it was the fibafirst that caused the initial weightloss problems though, as it has continued on months and months after I stopped using it, and got much worse.) We now know that the weightloss is likely due to gut problems, but we don't know what is causing the gut problems really. He has loads of fluid and gas in his gut and stomach, and his stomach is enlarged and the lining inflamed, and his gut is also slow - the vets think it is not getting the nutrition out of foods because it is so unhealthy - so he is on a strict pellet-reducing diet (currently at 3 tablespoons of SS junior), lots of hay, small amount of non-gassy veg, probiotic pellets and gut stimulant at the moment, and the plan is eventually to change him over to an 'adult' pellet.

I have had a sample of the VetCare Digestive in the past, but I was after the fibafirst at the time so I just used it as healthy treats. They did eat them, but preferred the fibafirst sticks, which also seemed larger than the VetCare ones, and slightly more dense. The one thing that worries me about the VetCare ones is that they are only 12% protein, which I think is a bit low, well lower than most pellets anyways (SS adult is 14%, Excel is 13%), and I wouldnt want that to contribute to his weightloss, but then the low protein may be better for the gut - I think I'll have to consult the vet when I see her next week.

How often did your girls suffer with the stasis before they were on the VetCare Digestive? Really glad to hear it has helped them.

Last edited:
Thank you :) For some reason I couldnt find that page on Supremes website, d'oh! Yes, I've used Fibafirst in the past, and really liked it (I too believe it is better, especially because they eat it in a more natural way, like they would eat hay or forage, rather than how they eat pellets/treats, if that makes sense), but I changed to junior pellets when Barney had incontinence and snuffles and lost weight - as the medication wasn't easy to put on fibafirst and the junior food was to put weight on him. (I don't for one moment think it was the fibafirst that caused the initial weightloss problems though, as it has continued on months and months after I stopped using it, and got much worse.) We now know that the weightloss is likely due to gut problems, but we don't know what is causing the gut problems really. He has loads of fluid and gas in his gut and stomach, and his stomach is enlarged and the lining inflamed, and his gut is also slow - the vets think it is not getting the nutrition out of foods because it is so unhealthy - so he is on a strict pellet-reducing diet (currently at 3 tablespoons of SS junior), lots of hay, small amount of non-gassy veg, probiotic pellets and gut stimulant at the moment, and the plan is eventually to change him over to an 'adult' pellet.

I have had a sample of the VetCare Digestive in the past, but I was after the fibafirst at the time so I just used it as healthy treats. They did eat them, but preferred the fibafirst sticks, which also seemed larger than the VetCare ones, and slightly more dense. The one thing that worries me about the VetCare ones is that they are only 12% protein, which I think is a bit low, well lower than most pellets anyways (SS adult is 14%, Excel is 13%), and I wouldnt want that to contribute to his weightloss, but then the low protein may be better for the gut - I think I'll have to consult the vet when I see her next week.

How often did your girls suffer with the stasis before they were on the VetCare Digestive? Really glad to hear it has helped them.

Sorry to hear about your bunny's problems. :( I would discuss it all with your vet too. It is difficult to know what to do for the best when it comes to pellets, especially when the rabbit has health problems.

My two girls used to suffer quite a lot with GI stasis. At one point, Milly was having a stasis episode one week, and the next week, it would be Molly and then a couple of weeks later, it would be Milly again. Due to Milly's episodes, I've needed emergency vets twice (high out-of-hours fees :shock:). I think Molly has had about 8-10 episodes this year, and Milly has had at least 5 episodes, so it was quite frequent.

Back