• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porridge oats...

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
How much to feed a bunny that needs to gain weight?

I tried these with my poorly boy today and he loved them :shock: He ate them all and begged for more! But surely they can't have too much at once? I'm assuming they swell in the tummy quite a bit? Thanks.

I soak and bake them. 10g on top of the normal food would be a good starting point.Too much and they might stop eating hay

We also had a skinny bunny who needed fattening up (she was nearly 10 years old) I used to mash a banana mix in porridge oats and some crushed excel pellets and glucosamine liquid. Once at the right consistency create little treat sized balls (marble size)

Place them on a baking tray on a low heat .. 100 - 150 for a good 40 mins or so until they are nice and hard but not burnt.

She used to love these crunchy little treats.:love:

Thanks! I might attempt to bake him something with them, although last time I tried the result was disastrous :oops:

I love baking Nismo biscuits :)

I get a jar of baby food (make sure its only veg/fruit in it, no rice or dairy) Ellas kitchen is quite good too.

pop the oven on to heat up to like 200.
I pop that into a mixing bowl and add porridge until the mixture is stodgy, then add crushed nuggets and barley rings, then if it is still wet just keep adding more porridge oats till its pretty much dry.
Then, I flatten onto tinfoil, turn of the oven and pop it in over night.
In the morning I remove tinfoil and if its still soft/sticky I turn it over, heat up the oven again, turn it of and back in it goes!
They should be tough (good for the teeth) and I store in a glass jar, and give five per meal, and more throughout the day if shes not eating nuggets well :) x

I never baked porridge oats, I have always just soaked them in a little warm water so that they don't dehydrate the gut by soaking water out of that which could happen if they are fed dry/baked. Bunnies love it straight off the spoon while it is still a little warm.

Personally I have never fed more than a teaspoonful at a time, as it is very starchy and there is a danger that too much will cause at least as many problems as it solves especially if its a completely new food which bunny isnt used to - better to be slow and sure.

I never baked porridge oats, I have always just soaked them in a little warm water so that they don't dehydrate the gut by soaking water out of that which could happen if they are fed dry/baked. Bunnies love it straight off the spoon while it is still a little warm.

Personally I have never fed more than a teaspoonful at a time, as it is very starchy and there is a danger that too much will cause at least as many problems as it solves especially if its a completely new food which bunny isnt used to - better to be slow and sure.

^^^^^ This is what I have done in the past too.

Nismo wont take porridge of the spoon, or when soaked.

So, thet biscuits work well for us, and have really helped with maintaining the weight :) x

I soak some oats in boiling water and then mash in some banana. Let it cool a bit before feeding it. Snowdrop loves it!

Back