Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old medications

Default Old medications

How long is it worth keeping things for? I have some old meds, mainly for Mischa; Septrin (2011), Baytril (2011), more Septrin (August 2012) and some Zantac for Smudge (2010).

And what's the best way to dispose of it? Just in the bin?

Wise Old Thumper Georgeypudding's Avatar

I'd probably put them down the sink but not sure if thats a good idea

always check wth vets i know metacam is 6momths so we are ok with that, but we also got a few others what may need to be thrown of, i just gave the old bottle is back to vets to dispose of when theyve given me more

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I've found some more

A dribble of Baytril from August 2012 which I'll definitely throw, there's barely any there.
    And some maxolon for Smudge from 2011 which I'll throw as well as I have some newer stuff.

It's just the 2011 Baytril really as there's loads. I'll keep the most recent Septrin as there's quite a bit of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by mini lop1 View Post
    always check wth vets i know metacam is 6momths so we are ok with that, but we also got a few others what may need to be thrown of, i just gave the old bottle is back to vets to dispose of when theyve given me more
    I'd take them into the vets but it's a 25 min journey

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    I'd take them into the vets but it's a 25 min journey
    eeekkk mines not to bad, only down road

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Best to dispose of old medications at the vets, however if you are too far away or dont want to hang on to them until your next vet visit try your local pharmacist. Putting them down the sink only adds them to the water we end up getting back via the taps.
    Purchase your Pledge a Pound hoodie here

Help support the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign and spread the message that rabbits should not be bought on impulse by visiting their shop here

Supporting pet stores without livestock where profits are created ethically

This is going to sound awful but I envy you and your supplies of meds, I'm running low on Septrin for my snuffly boy and I really dont know if I can get hold of any more I'd personally keep them all in the meantime in case of emergency, but then again my situation and access to rabbit savvy vets is extremely bad. Realistically, I think you might as well bin the stuff from 2010/2011, I can't imagine it working as well as fresh stuff anyhow.
    Mummy to Zoe the Ragdoll cat
    ~
    Binky free Boris and Bella. Always in my heart x

My bottles of medicine have use by dates on, I assumed this was the norm!?

If it helps I have septrin that was dispensed a couple of months ago and has a 2 year shelf life. It runs out July 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Oompa-Loompa View Post
    This is going to sound awful but I envy you and your supplies of meds, I'm running low on Septrin for my snuffly boy and I really dont know if I can get hold of any more I'd personally keep them all in the meantime in case of emergency, but then again my situation and access to rabbit savvy vets is extremely bad. Realistically, I think you might as well bin the stuff from 2010/2011, I can't imagine it working as well as fresh stuff anyhow.
    Wish I could send you it.