• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass question..

I had a thread on this a while back, I wrote to the nutritionist at readigrass about the calcium levels and if the readigrass can be used as a hay replacement. This was her reply.

Thank you for your enquiry about calcium levels in Friendly ReadiGrass. When looking at calcium levels one should always analyse them in relation to the phosphorus ratio. The correct ratio is 2:1 to aid normal skeletal development. Imbalances in this ratio, be it too much or too little of either calcium or phosphorus, can have negative effects on the growth and development of bones in animals of any age. In both Friendly ReadiGrass and ReadiGrass (for horses) the calcium : phosphorus ratio is correct at 2 : 1.

The calcium levels in ordinary hay can vary hugely depending on many production factors. Often hay is made from various types of grass which can imbalance the calcium : phosphorus ratio. Often large amounts of fertilisers/pesticides are used on the grass and it is not always allowed to dry out correctly so mould spores can be present in the product. Again this can imbalance the nutrient value.

The only difference between the grass used for ReadiGrass for horses, and the grass used for rabbits in Friendly ReadiGrass, is that the protein content is slightly higher for horses and the fibre content is slightly higher for rabbits. Protein is more essential to the horse so that it can perform at a working level whilst still maintaining the correct bodyweight. Rabbits have a need for protein but not as much as horses. Fibre is extremely digestible for rabbits and is essential for their health.

Friendly ReadiGrass would most certainly be a suitable hay replacement for your rabbits. It has a known nutrient value, which most hay products do not have, which is tailored specifically the needs of rabbits. It is full of natural flavour, has a fibrous nature, and is one of the most natural feeds to give to a rabbit.

Kind regards,

Jo Smales BSc (Hons)
Sales & Marketing
Friendship Estates Ltd
Old House Farm
Stubbs Walden
Doncaster
DN6 9BU

Tel: 01302 700220
Fax: 01302 700958
Email: joanne@friendshipestates.co.uk

The comment about the calcium phosphorus ratio is correct. But rabbits do not limit the calcium they absorb from food & have to excrete any excess. Whether they get sludge ot not depends to a large extent on whether they drink plenty, their activity, & their personal metabolism.
If you haven't got a sludge prone rabbit, he'll probably be fine but it's well worth keeping a check on the chalkiness of the urine.

My bun absolutely adores his daily portion of readigrass, I tend to sprinkle a handful of it over his hay. I could watch him for hours whilst he picks it out of the hay :)

Misty and my 3 gpigs love it too. We grow our own grass too, well i say we i mean my OH. People walking past our house must wonder why we have tubs of grass at our windows! :lol: I think mine prefer our home grown grass to the readigrass tho

My bun absolutely adores his daily portion of readigrass, I tend to sprinkle a handful of it over his hay. I could watch him for hours whilst he picks it out of the hay :)

mine have readigrass on hay but i was wondering if it was responsible for charlie's upset tum.

Back