• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im in a pickle with food and need some advice!

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Right everybun is on something different here at the moment...I spent ages working out what to get them on (thought about Allen and page, rabbit royale, excel, harringtons/wagg optimum etc) and decided to just switch the new buns to SS as thats what mine are on...its a bit more than I wanted to pay as having 2 baby frenchies, 2 large growing lops (poss frenchie x) and 3 dutchies to feed means i will get through quite alot but I ordered another sack of adult and a sack of junior...

Then i read that thread about buns chocking on SS pellets and panicked and canceled the order and now i dont know what to do! :roll:

Rosey doesnt suit excel at all so I want to avoid that and the babies are currently on some sort of museli...

Help...im sick of looking up the ingredients and worrying about it!! :( tempted to put them all on rabbit royale but it feels wrong feeding museli (silly i know as all are great hay eaters!)...can someone make some decisions for me please??!! :lol:

Wish I could help but my 'knowledge' doesn't stretch that far!!

Hopefully some wise owl will come along soon :D:wave:

Thing is, lots of buns have choked on lots of different foods. The reason there are so many reports of it being SS could be because of the high number of buns on the forum who eat them. Everyone has good reasons for using the food they do, it suits their rabbits. For many that means SS. For mine, rabbit royale. If you think SS is sitting them then continue with it, I would think the choking is a remote chance.

Try not to worry about choking too much. It does happen, but its quite rare when you think of how many bunnies eat all different types of pellets every day. In 23 years of owning rabbits, I've never had one choke.

Rabbit royale is quite a decent food as far as muesli goes, and if they will eat it all and not pick at it, then you can feed it. Just go with what you feel happy with. Mine have Pets at Home's own nuggets, which many people don't agree with. However its always suited my 5 well and its a decent price.

:wave: I used to feed excel...but found they were too rich , not enough fibre and wasnt happy.
Changed to Oxbow Timothy Hay pellets - great - loads of fibre...really great - BUT expensive :-(

Now use SS - and they are fine BUT did have one bun choke...was not very good experience...but he is a gobbler...no probs with any of the other 2 buns...so def due to him gobbling...I now make sure I supervise him when he is fed them...and dont leave him to eat them unattended...saying this - you only feed such a small amount twice a day that I think its fine...I would go back to oxbow timothy pellets if I could afford them...or even mix the two...but SS are fine.

I think that a whole pellet is much better than muesli mix if buns are not eating the whole lot and do selective feeding - hard to monitor when feeding a pair or more with muesli...;)

You have to choose something which suits your budget as well as the buns...I do the same thing though and end up stressing about it. I've had Poppy on all the different foods and have found the Harringtons one is best for her, its not what I thought I would be buying but she really likes it and it really suits her. I am considering buying the Rabbit Royale to try as well as I gave her some museli as a treat once and she loved it, ate it all and really enjoyed it.

Thing is, lots of buns have choked on lots of different foods. The reason there are so many reports of it being SS could be because of the high number of buns on the forum who eat them. Everyone has good reasons for using the food they do, it suits their rabbits. For many that means SS. For mine, rabbit royale. If you think SS is sitting them then continue with it, I would think the choking is a remote chance.

Yes this. If its a worry for you what about handfeeding so you slow down their eating a bit?

Mine have A&P pellets in the morning, only a few though shared between the 5 of them. And they also have SS pellets as more of a treat, which I handfeed them from the back door..as soon as they hear the pot being opened they all run to the back door :)

Thanks all :) Panic over..i feel much calmer about it today! :lol:

I have bought P@H junior pellets for the babies as they havnt really been eating the museli or SS the last couple of days :roll: they eat tonned of hay but only pick at the musli and leave all the pellety bits :roll: so I bought P@H pellets and started mixing them into today...now they are picking those out of the bowl and leaving the museli :lol: Poppy and daisy are on a 10kg sack of pets at home adult at the moment. Rosey is on SS and Lucky and hope ar eon Excel/SS mixture...

Last edited:
Mine will only eat harringtons optimum (wagg). We got a sample bag of SS but she stuck her nose up at it, which is a shame as i wanted to switch her to that but im not wasting money if she dosent like it. :(

Right everybun is on something different here at the moment...I spent ages working out what to get them on (thought about Allen and page, rabbit royale, excel, harringtons/wagg optimum etc) and decided to just switch the new buns to SS as thats what mine are on...its a bit more than I wanted to pay as having 2 baby frenchies, 2 large growing lops (poss frenchie x) and 3 dutchies to feed means i will get through quite alot but I ordered another sack of adult and a sack of junior...

Then i read that thread about buns chocking on SS pellets and panicked and canceled the order and now i dont know what to do! :roll:

Rosey doesnt suit excel at all so I want to avoid that and the babies are currently on some sort of museli...

Help...im sick of looking up the ingredients and worrying about it!! :( tempted to put them all on rabbit royale but it feels wrong feeding museli (silly i know as all are great hay eaters!)...can someone make some decisions for me please??!! :lol:

Can i ask what SS is and where to buy this from. I feed mine on excel but feel they are putting weight on so looking to change.

Back