• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets - what's best

MrsHam

New Kit
Hello,

I need to get pellets similar to the ones given to me with my baby bunnies (around 12 weeks old now). I've got about 5 days' worth left, and was told to try and match the colour and not get pellets that looked too 'glossy' as they'd have too much palm oil (or something like that) within them.
What do people on this site use? I need something that's easy to get hold of in the shops, or that most pet suppliers would carry. Ideally, something that I can see prior to buying so I can see how similar they are to what I've got now.
Thanks. :)

I have been using Excel pellets for our 2 bunnies - but one of them won't eat her Cecals so am moving her over to Science Selective as recommended by people on this forum - strange looking things but she seems to prefer them to the Excel pellets (doing a gradual change over and so far she is eating the Science Selective pellets before the Excel pellets) - and so far, there have been no big, squishy poops so fingers crossed. From what I understand - Science Selective is very high in fibre, but not so much of the sugary stuff that makes bunnies fat. I got them from a petshop in Bromley - as far as I can tell Pets at Home doesn't stock it - but you can get it on-line as well.

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/product/science-selective-rabbit/

Hello,

I need to get pellets similar to the ones given to me with my baby bunnies (around 12 weeks old now). I've got about 5 days' worth left, and was told to try and match the colour and not get pellets that looked too 'glossy' as they'd have too much palm oil (or something like that) within them.
What do people on this site use? I need something that's easy to get hold of in the shops, or that most pet suppliers would carry. Ideally, something that I can see prior to buying so I can see how similar they are to what I've got now.
Thanks. :)

Any change in diet has to be made very gradually (ie mixing old pellets with a few new ones for at least a week until they are completely on the new ones) otherwise you risk upsetting their stomachs. I would ring the person from whom you got your rabbits so you can find out exactly what pellets they are.

I use Excel Light as they are high in fibre, but I know a few people here don't recommend Excel.

I use science selective for all of mine :D they love it :) I buy a 5kg bag for about £11 and it lasts me for months :thumb: I thought about changing them onto excel but was told some buns got nasty poops and mine have sensitive tummies so I didn't bother :)

Jane, can I ask why that is?

This, mainly

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Experienced-a-Choking-Rabbit&highlight=choke

Although I dont feed ANY pellets to Hal who has choked twice on them.

Rabbits009-Optimized.jpg

Rabbits010-Optimized.jpg

He has Rabbit Royale Mix

Last edited:
I feed mine Beaphar Care Plus Junior, that's what he was on when I got him and he's stayed on it. The nearest shop is 20 miles away and it costs £7.99 for 1.5kg, but I'm happy with the quality.

My previous bunny mostly had Excel, the mature stuff with the added cranberry, I never had any problems with any Excel foods other than Harry hated the taste of the standard stuff.

I use excel sensitive pellets which my two are doing really well on. They are very different in appearance to standard excel and are really high in fibre. No problems with poops either!

I also recommend beaphar-high in fibres and wonderfully tasty for the buns. A bit expensive, tough. But....everything for my chrissi:):love:

Back