• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo Everywhere!

Aimee04

New Kit
Hi! :wave:

I'm new to Rabbits United, and I've been reading up on the site which is excellent, I know this topic has come up a couple of times on the forum and so I'm just looking for some quick opinions/advice...

My 1 year old Rabbit, Ringo has recently stopped using his litter tray. He is neutered and from a young age has been excellent at using his tray. I recently moved and he got used to where his tray/cage is in our living room.

We've just adopted a kitten and the pair have been getting on alright, with Ringo still hopping about as normal even with the kitten being a bit crazy. There have been no fights/attacks....and Ringo currently has a bit of a size advantage so using it...hoping after Berlioz to have a sniff.

He has just started pooing everywhere, and stopped using his litter tray...he still goes in his cage. I'm a bit confused as I didn't think rabbits who had been neutered pooped to mark territory??
I was thinking about starting his litter training again, with a smaller space or pen etc....but don't know if this is too extreme?

Thanks in advance,

Aimee

Welcome to the site :)

Rabbits, by nature, are territorial animals, with or without hormones. This is likely a sign he is feeling insecure with your newest addition and is trying to claim his territory back to feel more secure.

Hi and welcome, I'm fairly new too :) but maybe I can share my similar experience, I have four neutered/spayed house bunnies, my older two, Smudge and Coco and an 8mth old sibling pair Reuben and Boo and when I put the younger pair's pen in the living room with my older pair, who have free run, the four of them, who are very well littered trained began pooping everywhere and have even starting weeing in areas :( I now realise it's due to the territory marking (even though they are all 'done') along with maybe being a little unsettled...they have been together now for about 3-4 weeks and it is lessening, so perhaps this is what is happening with your bunny and it will ease given time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome, I'm fairly new too :) but maybe I can share my similar experience, I have four neutered/spayed house bunnies, my older two, Smudge and Coco and an 8mth old sibling pair Reuben and Boo and when I put the younger pair's pen in the living room with my older pair, who have free run, the four of them, who are very well littered trained began pooping everywhere and have even starting weeing in areas :( I now realise it's due to the territory marking (even though they are all 'done') along with maybe being a little unsettled...they have been together now for about 3-4 weeks and it is lessening, so perhaps this is what is happening with your bunny and it will ease given time :)

Check the date on threads, the last 2 have been from a year ago:wave:

Whoops !! Just realised this was posted in 2012...I said I was new too..lol ...I'm still getting used to stories popping up and they are a year old! :(

Back