• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maggie's diet

lucybis

Young Bun
Hey everyone, this is another feeding question regarding my little Maggie. She came to me eating the adult excel pellets (although she is only about 12 weeks) I am continuing to feed her these as I think switching to the junior pellets would potentially upset her stomach? What I want to ask is how much I should be feeding her? I have read somewhere that young buns should have a constant supply of pellets, is that right? Also she seems to prefer pellets to hay and, given the option, munches her pellets rather than her hay. She's also had tiny amounts of parslay, brocolli and brussel sprouts very slowly over the past few days. I've noticed a few un-eaten caecal poops in her litter tray, can someone tell me where I'm going wrong. I think I'm giving her too much of something so what should I cut back on? Thank you xx

Just to add: I've increased her hay and added some farm hay which she seems to prefer to the p@h timothy hay.

Go carefully with the veg as she may not be used to it. Be generous with the pellets and let her eat as much as she wants at this stage as I don't think a hungry baby rabbit is a good thing. She might seem to prefer the pellets to the hay but don't worry too much as when you start to cut back on the pellets she will turn to the hay. You can also give her Readigrass which they all love. Just give tiny pieces of veg, one at a time until you feel she can take more.

Thank you tonibun, what age should I start cutting back on pellets? Should it be a gradual cut back?

I would stick with the unlimited pellets for about another month but then very gradually reduce until down to an eggcupful a day - don't make any sudden diet change, except to increase hay, which should always be unlimited. Lots of people here get hay from HayforPets - they do a sample pack (free, just pay postage) so you can give variety.

I would stick with the unlimited pellets for about another month but then very gradually reduce until down to an eggcupful a day - don't make any sudden diet change, except to increase hay, which should always be unlimited. Lots of people here get hay from HayforPets - they do a sample pack (free, just pay postage) so you can give variety.

^^ and maybe cut out the brassica type veges...very gassy and as much as the buns adore them...not very good tummy veges for them. Brussel sprouts cabbage etc;)
Hayfor pets Timothy & rye is adored by my buns as is the iNGs hay.
I buy the biggest bags they do - for 3 buns and I give handfuls every other day to make it last as i cant afford to use it loads. I use a bale of meadow hay unlimited everyday. ;)
I forage too - free wild bun food thats great and healthy for them....you can try hawthorn leaves/twigs, apple leaves/branches, rosemary, basil, lemonbalm, plantains, rose leaves/petals, marigolds, goosegrass, bramble leaves, stinging nettles - new shoots...so much available if you go for walks... :p

introduce anything new over 2 weeks sparingly...any uneaten cecals and you need to stop for a while and then re-introduce slowly again...once there are no cecals left you can slowly increase foraged foods to unlimited;) so its along process for such a small bunny...but she will benefit greatly and you will be able to give her a great diet as she grows...she sounds a very lucky bunny!:love:

Back