• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet advice please?

It is recommended that an adult rabbit has an eggcupful (not 3/4) of pellets a day. At seven months they are classed as adults.

Until they are about 4 months they should be fed unlimited pellets.

Any change in the amount of pellets fed, or the type of pellets, should be done very slowly - any sudden changes can upset their stomachs.

Hay is the most important part of the diet - 90%. To encourage hay eating and provide variety, try different ones. Hay4Pets to a sample pack (free, you just pay postage).

Veg should be introduced v gradually - avoid fruit and carrots, except as a treat, as they are high in sugar (not good for teeth or guts).

I've started using Excel Sensitive nuggets, which are very high in fibre (almost as high as SS I think). They're also a bit more like SS in size and colour. My 2 have been doing very well on them.

Also, rabbits can be very stubborn! My 2 were a nightmare when I tried to switch their nuggets. But I stuck with it, gradually reducing the old and increasing the new. There was a week or so where they completely ignored the new ones, but I kept reducing the old and they had to tuck into the new ones eventually!

So don't be put off by him ignoring the new stuff.

Allen and Page ? Never heard of this one? So whats better SS or Allen and Page?
Am I right in thinking the higher the protein the better?

My other bun is eating the new excel pellets that I am slowing introducing but has had a few runny poos? Should i go back to P@H ones?
They both eat loads of hay and small amount of veg everyday.

I thought cucumber was one of the safe foods?

Thanks nikki

My other bun is eating the new excel pellets that I am slowing introducing but has had a few runny poos? Should i go back to P@H ones?

Thanks nikki

Yes I would go back to P@H if it's causing running poos, that is something that some people experience with Excel pellets.

I think SS is probably the most popular and so is a 'safe bet' if you are new to rabbits.

I'm surprised you think an egg cup full is closer to 50g and 10g, but I don't have any egg cups so I can't check myself. You might be able to fit more excel pellets in there than people who feed SS, which are quite big. I think I probably feed 15g per day actually if you include the few extra pellets they get after their checkups.

Its personal preference, its higher fibre thats better not protein. Allen and Page is one of the better cheap pellets. I feed it because I can't afford SS.

Thanks nikki

High protein is often the cause of soft poops. I would change them to a low protein, high fibre pellet whether p@h or another.
Cucumber is a safe food, just one that is recommended in small amounts.

Back