• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi - How long will the infection last?

susiemae

Mama Doe
as the title says really....

Domino was diagnosed with Myxi last Tuesday. (He has been vaccinated). He has some lumps around his eyes and his face/nose and genitals are swollen. He is eating really well though, so it hasn't affected his appetite but he is quite quiet in other ways, he doesn't always want to come out for his morning and evening run around the garden.

Being that its coming up to almost a week since diagnosis, is he likely to get any worse and how long will this horrible illness last? I just want him to get well again:cry:

Twinkle was diagnosed last Monday so one day ahead of your poor bunny... the trouble is, no one knows how long it will last, it depends on the bunny and the severity of the strain of the virus. I hope your bunny does survive this.. I know what a devastating disease it is.

Jet was diagnosed with this yesterday. Her nose is very swollen and a lot of fur has gone leaving quite a bald patch and what looks like a red scratch going along it. She also has a few nodules around her nose/mouth but she seems fine in herself and is eating well. I'm like you and just want to know if it's going to get worse :( I hate seeing her like this and I just want her to be well. Sending vibes for all other myxi buns.x

My two rabbits started showing symptoms at the start of September. The girl was just lumps and wet eyes, and has been ok for the past two weeks. The boy got a more severe respiratory version, and badly swollen mouth and has only just recovered in the last week, so I guess he was ill for 5 or 6 weeks, at least one week longer than the girl. Both of their nodules started turning black about 10 days ago, my boy is losing most of his nose, it was one big nodule.

Good luck with your bunnies, sending them big hugs and get well soon vibes.

Thanks everyone for the vibes and kind words. Its so sad to hear that so many bunnies have been affected.

It seems a bit daunting that they could be ill for as much as 5 to 6 weeks. This would mean Domino is in the early stages and still has a long way to go:cry:

Wishing all the sick bunnies everywhere a speedy and complete recovery.

Loads of vibes for all the poor Myxi buns, there seems to be loads of it around at the moment if this forum is anything to go by :cry:

Evil, horrible disease :evil:

Millie has had her nodules for about 4 weeks. The worst and biggest one over her eye fell off today. She has a few more still to come off. There are pictures of her on my vets facebook page Village Vets Liverpool about a week in but it got a lot worse than that. There are photos of her at her worst on my facebook (barbara forster pic dressed up as a panda). She just has mostly pink squishy patches now.
The whole time she was really well in herself. dont be disheartened if it looks worse before it gets better x

Back