• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Muesli

Good Morning Everyone!!

I am a newbie so let me quickly introduce myself, I am a bunny mummy to 4 amazing buns, Max and Ruby are 6 months, and i have just got Charlie and Lola on wednesday and they are 8 weeks ....( my 3 year old named them all lol).

When I bought Max and Ruby, they were all ready eating Burgess Excel pellets so they have been kept on that. However Charlie and Lola came with a changeover bag of feed, and they are fed on Rabbit Muesli mixed with pellets and readigrass. They both seem very happy and healthy on this feed so I am considering just keeping them on this, however I know Muesli is a huge no no but im unsure why??. I know part of the problem is that is encourages selective feeding, however these 2 finish the entire bowl so that at the mo doesnt look like its going to be a problem.

So is it ok to keep on the Muesli mixed with pellets, or is there another reason why muesli is not recommended for buns?.

Thank you xxx

Aswell as the selective feeding there can also be things in Muesli that isnt good for their tums and can cause diarrhea.
As theyre doing so well on it at this point Id recommend perhaps sticking with it for now and perhaps start slowly phasing the muesli out when theyre around 3 months old, at which point their intake of pellets becomes limited anyway.
Any pictures? ;)

Doughnut was on museli when I got her but I changed her over to excel, then she had a mucky bum so slowly changed her to science selective. No problems at all now, she loves them and they are very high in fibre 25% if I remember rightly!

She used to eat all her museli but consequently didn't eat as much hay.

Some muesli mixes are better than others, but I would also go for a very gradual changeover when they are a bit older. Do they eat hay? One of the problems with muesli is that even the best mixes are less high in fibre than Ecel or Science Selective pellets.

Harley came to me on Muesli but I changed her very gradually over to Excel pellets - but they are causing her not to eat her Cecals so will be changing over science selective for both buns. Bobo is fine on Excel pellets.

But they do get a snack at bedtime of a handful of muesli thrown into their hay bowls so that they have to hunt for pieces of muesli...it is literally just a small handful and they love it. Justs give a bit of variety - only pellets and hay is a bit like eating brown rice and salad all the time - very healthy but not much fun.

Thank you for all your answer everyone!!.

So the general opinion is to wean off the museli which is fine, I will do that, althought I quite like the idea that you said Fellie of maybe offering them a tiny bit in the evening.

Whats also really interesting thou is that Max and Ruby leave lots of cecals every day, and they are also on Burgess Excel, if anything, I dont think they eat any as when i go to see them in the morning, there are loads, I have never thought about it being the food before...maybe thats something I should also look into.

Also where can I get this science selective...a few of you have recommended it...i will do anything to make my buns happy and healthy....

ps...will add some piccies.....:)))))

They are getting too much muesli/pellets if there is uneaten cecal. That's what I had with Doughnut was was told not to limited her when she was young. The vet told me to limit her when I saw him for her jabs and once I cut back there were not uneaten cecal. It's just about getting the right amount.

I get SS online. Amazon do it and a lot of other places. It lasts a while as she only has one egg cup a day.

Do you know, i was sure i did another thread somewhere, but when i went to look for ir, i couldnt see it so that i was losing my marbles....im glad im not lol. Im very new to these forums so aplogies about that.

I think perhaps i am giving Max and Ruby (6 mths ) too much pellets, I was told by my vets that they should have unlimited pellets until 7 mths, so I have been giving them 1 full bowl of pellets every evening, as well lots of hay obviously but the amount of cecals are a nightmare, so i think i will start cutting down to see if that helps, and if not then i think i may try the ss.

My baby buns who although are on the museli, are havent seen any cecals from they yet and they are already litter trained..yay!!, so maybe i will start weaning them onto just pellets when there 12 weeks, and give then just a little bit of museli in the evenings??.

Thank you for all your comments ladies...so glad i found this site xx

Muesli tends to have more sugar in it, but as long as they aren't selective eating, then its not really a major issue. I fed muesli for years without problems.

Do you know, i was sure i did another thread somewhere, but when i went to look for ir, i couldnt see it so that i was losing my marbles....im glad im not lol. Im very new to these forums so aplogies about that.

I think perhaps i am giving Max and Ruby (6 mths ) too much pellets, I was told by my vets that they should have unlimited pellets until 7 mths, so I have been giving them 1 full bowl of pellets every evening, as well lots of hay obviously but the amount of cecals are a nightmare, so i think i will start cutting down to see if that helps, and if not then i think i may try the ss.

My baby buns who although are on the museli, are havent seen any cecals from they yet and they are already litter trained..yay!!, so maybe i will start weaning them onto just pellets when there 12 weeks, and give then just a little bit of museli in the evenings??.

Thank you for all your comments ladies...so glad i found this site xx

I was told unlimited until 4 months and Doughnut's cecal was a nightmare too until I cut down. She now gets so excited about her pellets, I get lots of twirls, begging and even a happy noise sometimes.

Cut down slowly but I bet you notice a big difference.

Back