• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water help??

JacquiM

New Kit
Hi there, found this forum while searching online for advice on our very first bunny :) looking for a bit of advice re water consumption as I'm not too sure that she is drinking enough or if I'm worrying unnecessarily - at least with the kids you can nag them to have a drink lol

We bought Snow yesterday afternoon and although she seems to be eating her hay and pellets fairly regularly and producing plenty of poo, her water bottle has only gone own a wee bit since this morning. Is this something to worry about or will things settle down once she feels happy in her new surroundings? We got a bottle as that what she was using in the shop so do we stick with it, or offer the option of a bowl as well?

Ps she's a Lionhead and is 10 weeks old, we also got her inoculated as well last night so maybe that's a factor too.

Sorry if this seems a fairly basic question, she is our 1st rabbit and I've not seen anything specific online about how much they should be drinking, or I'm looking in totally the wrong places

It's totally different for each rabbit, plus their environment can affect it etc.

However, most rabbits prefer to drink from a bowl rather than a bottle, as it is much more natural. They often get frustrated with bottles, as they can't get a steady stream of liquif out of them.

Perhaps give her the option of a bowl as well as the bottle and monitor her :)

Agree with both posts above - I had the same worry when we first got Rupert and Tia, they now have a bottle and a bowl (a heavy ceramic one they can't knock over), and when they come in the house / run around outside, they have another bowl (a smaller plastic one) I find they drink loooooads more water out of the smaller plastic one (its as if they don't want to the their whiskers wet using the big bowl)

When you fill up the water bottle and screw on the teat/cap bit, give it a shake and when you fix it on run your finger over the sliver ball to make sure the water is coming out. Sometimes it can get blocked or the suction isn't right.

Buns are like us, some drink more and some less. I very rarely actually see my Ollie drink but i know he does ;)

Guys,

Thank you all so much for all the good advice I don't feel silly for asking now :D

Just cleared out the hutch with the kids help and put a wee ceramic bowl in with some water and she practically lapped it up, but then jumped on top of the bowl, oops

Guess we'll be purchasing a better water bowl for her tomorrow when we go out

Jacqui

Guys,

Thank you all so much for all the good advice I don't feel silly for asking now :D

Just cleared out the hutch with the kids help and put a wee ceramic bowl in with some water and she practically lapped it up, but then jumped on top of the bowl, oops

Guess we'll be purchasing a better water bowl for her tomorrow when we go out

Jacqui

No need to feel silly! I ask no end of 'silly' questions on here, that's what we're here for hehe. But my two lops love drinking from ceramic bowls (they knock over the plastic ones). I do have water bottles too though incase they get extra thirsty or fancy a change. Belle even sticks a foot in the water sometimes - not sure what the entertainment factor of that is but she seems to find it funny! Maybe because i have to follow her around with a towel for a couple of minutes afterwards :lol: very cheeky bun.

Back