• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can young rabbits eat timothy hay?

Thlayli

New Kit
My girl is 3 and a half months old. I have her on pellets and alfalfa hay that she was originally eating at the pet store. They told me not to change her diet because she would get diarrhea. I'm running out of her alfalfa hay and I have a brand new bag of timothy hay I haven't touched. But I was also told that bunnies can't have timothy hay until they're a year old. People keep telling me two different stories and I'm terribly confused! They also told me not to give her any veggies or fruits until she's a year old. I'm just worried that I'm not giving her a proper diet. So I wanted to ask some bunny professionals.

My girl is 3 and a half months old. I have her on pellets and alfalfa hay that she was originally eating at the pet store. They told me not to change her diet because she would get diarrhea. I'm running out of her alfalfa hay and I have a brand new bag of timothy hay I haven't touched. But I was also told that bunnies can't have timothy hay until they're a year old. People keep telling me two different stories and I'm terribly confused! They also told me not to give her any veggies or fruits until she's a year old. I'm just worried that I'm not giving her a proper diet. So I wanted to ask some bunny professionals.

Hi! You are doing well giving her just pellets and hay. She will be fine to move from alfalfa hay onto Timothy hay now. She may take a while to get used to the different taste because most rabbits prefer alfalfa. Some people recommend alfalfa for the first year because it is a lot richer than timothy or meadow hay so it helps buns grow. As adults though it isn't good for them as it contains too much calcium and can lead to bladder problems.

So, try mixing the two hays for a while gradually giving less and less alfalfa till it's gone. For veg, it has to be introduced very very gradually if she hasn't had any up till now. Best to start with herbs like coriander, parsley, basil and mint. Only introduce one new good each week in case she reacts to it. This way you will know which food doesn't agree with her.

Hope that helps!

Princess is roughly 28 weeks old now and she started eating Timothy hay about 6 weeks ago :wave:, i started breaking it into her diet little by little, she still has normal hay to though, she doesn't just have Timothy :D

Back