• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

finding right hutch within price limit

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new hutch for Peter as I'm not happy with his current Poppy Den. I'm also hoping to get him a partner within the next 2-3 mths.

I have a budget of about £160ish. Ideally I wanted a 6ft 2 storey hutch (I'm feeling that a solid bottom one, on legs, is better than one that sits on the grass?) but I'm stuggling to find anything within my budget :( So, I don't really know what is best to get.. I've seen a 6ft single storey hutch, a 5ft hutch sat on top of a square run, a 5ft double storey.

I just don't know where to go. I want to get the best I can afford but I can't work out whether a 2 storey 5ft hutch is better than a 6ft 1 storey? The hutch sat on the run sounds good but I would have to put it on the grass (other hutches can go on patio) and it concerns me that a fox might be able to dig underneath.

Peter also has use of a run during the day. I'm just keen to get him as much space as possible, that he can access himself without relying on me to carry him into his run. i.e in the event of the family having a day out and coming home late - I don't want to have to leave him stuck in a small hutch to avoid having to bring him in from the run at night.

Any advice would be great :)

I usually make hutches and runs for our rabbits and for £160 you could have one of the best hutch run combos around.

Do you have anyone that could do this for you? I did have some plans on google sketch up, I will see if I can find them if it would be of any help?? :thumb::thumb:

What about seeing if anyone is selling a shed locally or try freegle? If you are handy you could build an aviary for around that money

Hi Molly35,

I've thought about a shed (we have a big enough garden) but I just can't get my head around how dark they might be? I know there is a thread with lots of ideas so I'll have a look through that tonight.

Hi Lucy24,

I like the look of those runaround things, they look good. Could be one to consider :)

Hi ReeceT,

That would be good thanks :thumb:

Hi Aly&Poppy,

I like the look of the ebay hutch :) Since I posted earlier I found a mesh you can sit the hutch on (goes around the perimeter) which avoids both digging in and out..

Thanks Everyone! The hutch I really want is lovely.... and massive... but about £100 over budget lol

Hi Molly35,

I've thought about a shed (we have a big enough garden) but I just can't get my head around how dark they might be? I know there is a thread with lots of ideas so I'll have a look through that tonight.Hi Lucy24,

I like the look of those runaround things, they look good. Could be one to consider :)

Hi ReeceT,

That would be good thanks :thumb:

Hi Aly&Poppy,

I like the look of the ebay hutch :) Since I posted earlier I found a mesh you can sit the hutch on (goes around the perimeter) which avoids both digging in and out..

Thanks Everyone! The hutch I really want is lovely.... and massive... but about £100 over budget lol

Mine live in a shed, and I have an internal mesh door - so thru the day the main wooden door is wedged open, giving them loads of air and light :D

You can get a decent shed for about £180 ish, plus you can add shelves (mine has two extra shelves, each one half the length of the shed) really cheaply, which definitely is what rescues need you to have (as i rescued my two) :D

Mine live in a shed, and I have an internal mesh door - so thru the day the main wooden door is wedged open, giving them loads of air and light :D

You can get a decent shed for about £180 ish, plus you can add shelves (mine has two extra shelves, each one half the length of the shed) really cheaply, which definitely is what rescues need you to have (as i rescued my two) :D

Hmmm I'd love a shed for him, How big is yours? Do you have a hutch (for sleeping) within?

Hmmm I'd love a shed for him, How big is yours? Do you have a hutch (for sleeping) within?

the shed is 6ft x 4ft (then each shelf is 4ft x 3ft)... inside they have a bed box, and a cardboard box filled with straw :D

This is their shed: they don't have the soft bed on the top anymore - because they chewed it, they have various cardboard boxes now, cos they just chew them :D we put perspex on the door in winter (but we leave some mesh at the top for ventilation) to stop rain, and keep it a bit warmer but they still get light :) this is quite an old pic - they now have a huuuuuge canopy above the door too (again to stop rain and help us to not get wet)..... they love their shed :D i always think it looks small cos i cant take a pic at a better angle cos our house is in the way :lol:

shed1.jpg

eta: they now have two underbed storage boxes, and a corner litter tray on the bottom, cos they forgot their litter trained habits when we went on holiday :roll: and they have carpet to go in, and new lino (which is going up the walls on the bottom level), and they have a new wooden tunnel on the top too :D - and they have their food hay on their top shelf now (they eat more if its up there)

Last edited:
Hi Molly35,

I've thought about a shed (we have a big enough garden) but I just can't get my head around how dark they might be? I know there is a thread with lots of ideas so I'll have a look through that tonight.

ITs very easy to put extra windows in a shed - I've put three extra windows in one of my sheds so that the rabbits who live upstairs have two windows, and the ones who live downstairs have two windows, so even in the winter when the doors will be mainly closed, they have plenty of light and still have access to their runs via hatches

Oh yes a shed :thumb: I'm having a 6x4 shed. It will have windows but we are leaving those in and getting some little air vent things :D going to mesh the inside so they can't chew the wood and lino, with a table as litter tray making area and they can jump on :)

A tongue and groove shed, I'm spending £199 on one with free delivery off eBay :thumb:

the shed is 6ft x 4ft (then each shelf is 4ft x 3ft)... inside they have a bed box, and a cardboard box filled with straw :D

This is their shed: they don't have the soft bed on the top anymore - because they chewed it, they have various cardboard boxes now, cos they just chew them :D we put perspex on the door in winter (but we leave some mesh at the top for ventilation) to stop rain, and keep it a bit warmer but they still get light :) this is quite an old pic - they now have a huuuuuge canopy above the door too (again to stop rain and help us to not get wet)..... they love their shed :D i always think it looks small cos i cant take a pic at a better angle cos our house is in the way :lol:

shed1.jpg

eta: they now have two underbed storage boxes, and a corner litter tray on the bottom, cos they forgot their litter trained habits when we went on holiday :roll: and they have carpet to go in, and new lino (which is going up the walls on the bottom level), and they have a new wooden tunnel on the top too :D - and they have their food hay on their top shelf now (they eat more if its up there)

Oh wow, Pete would love that shed!

Hmm think I need to convince hubby to stretch the budget a little :D It is my birthday on Monday after all :lol: A new hutch is my present :lol:

:) yeh do it :D the shelves were sooo cheap - the wood was in homebase skip, and the brackets were 90p each :D

there is going to be a drop down panel on the top shelf (when john gets round to it :roll: ) cos its a pain in the bum to clean out (i cant reach it, john has to do it :lol: )

Its funny cos they have all this space..... and spend nearly all their time on the top lol

Can you put a shed on grass? would I need to lay it on something??

You could put paving slabs on the grass :D mine dont have a permanent run (id rather the shed was where it is - its sheltered from the sun in summer and its tucked between the fence and the house so the wind doesn't get it (behind it is bamboo) and we couldn't get a run in the space, plus we have a visitiing fox everyday :shock: so wouldn't feel comfortable them having a run - so they get an hour every morning (work day) and at least 3 hours when i get in free range round half the garden / house :D on weekends if the weathers nice and im in and not busy, they're out :D

I have two of the 6 ft Happy hutches with the run underneath and can reccommend them but you would also need to have it on paving slabs. I have sheds too with runs attached which are my preference as ther is more indoor space for the rabbits and it is much easier in winter for cleaning, feeding etc. I have pictures posted here of one of the sheds http://pledgeapound.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2040

I'd say wendy house or shed too for that budget - if you have a look at this folder on my Facebook page Emma, you will get an idea of how you can do a mesh door for the airflow/light issue. And of course you can remove the plexiglass too and replace with mesh for warmer days. In my opinion single storey hutchs win over double storey every time because not all bunnies like going up ramps and certainly as they get older it becomes harder. This however offers the best of both worlds and if you are quick you might get it before someone else snaps it up. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130757692986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_810wt_924

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.227400590637009.55582.224203434290058&type=3

This one gives you some ideas for interiors https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.227583310618737.55618.224203434290058&type=3

if you want some ideas before you buy and also before you adopt then you can come and visit so you know what sort of thing rescues will require when you do get Peter a friend.

Helen

Last edited:
Back