Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding right hutch within price limit

Default finding right hutch within price limit

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new hutch for Peter as I'm not happy with his current Poppy Den. I'm also hoping to get him a partner within the next 2-3 mths.

I have a budget of about 160ish. Ideally I wanted a 6ft 2 storey hutch (I'm feeling that a solid bottom one, on legs, is better than one that sits on the grass?) but I'm stuggling to find anything within my budget So, I don't really know what is best to get.. I've seen a 6ft single storey hutch, a 5ft hutch sat on top of a square run, a 5ft double storey.

I just don't know where to go. I want to get the best I can afford but I can't work out whether a 2 storey 5ft hutch is better than a 6ft 1 storey? The hutch sat on the run sounds good but I would have to put it on the grass (other hutches can go on patio) and it concerns me that a fox might be able to dig underneath.

Peter also has use of a run during the day. I'm just keen to get him as much space as possible, that he can access himself without relying on me to carry him into his run. i.e in the event of the family having a day out and coming home late - I don't want to have to leave him stuck in a small hutch to avoid having to bring him in from the run at night.

Any advice would be great

Mum to 2 boys aged 5&11!!!!

Rescues usually have a requirement for their housing and I think it would involve having an attached run. Maybe you could save for a runaround? then the hutch can go on the patio and the run can be moved around the garden.

Would it be better for you to get a playhouse?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-Rabbit...#ht_1736wt_906

http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-snu...FYYTfAodRS4A4A

I usually make hutches and runs for our rabbits and for 160 you could have one of the best hutch run combos around.

Do you have anyone that could do this for you? I did have some plans on google sketch up, I will see if I can find them if it would be of any help??

Mama Doe

well for 176.99 you could get this hutch(the 6ft one) and use the tunnel to connect the hutch and run. it has a door so you can shut it off at night if you wish.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/single-s...bit-hutches/22

http://www.runaround.co.uk/products/connection-kit-2

i know its over the budget though but its all i can think of right now lol

What about seeing if anyone is selling a shed locally or try freegle? If you are handy you could build an aviary for around that money
    Mum to Buzz, Lady, Alfie and Midnight
    Binky free Molly, Tilly & Isabelle

www.hopperholidays.co.uk

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teresa

Hi Molly35,

I've thought about a shed (we have a big enough garden) but I just can't get my head around how dark they might be? I know there is a thread with lots of ideas so I'll have a look through that tonight.

Hi Lucy24,

I like the look of those runaround things, they look good. Could be one to consider

Hi ReeceT,

That would be good thanks

Hi Aly&Poppy,

I like the look of the ebay hutch Since I posted earlier I found a mesh you can sit the hutch on (goes around the perimeter) which avoids both digging in and out..

Thanks Everyone! The hutch I really want is lovely.... and massive... but about 100 over budget lol

Quote Originally Posted by Peterbunny View Post
    Hi Molly35,

I've thought about a shed (we have a big enough garden) but I just can't get my head around how dark they might be? I know there is a thread with lots of ideas so I'll have a look through that tonight.Hi Lucy24,

I like the look of those runaround things, they look good. Could be one to consider

Hi ReeceT,

That would be good thanks

Hi Aly&Poppy,

I like the look of the ebay hutch Since I posted earlier I found a mesh you can sit the hutch on (goes around the perimeter) which avoids both digging in and out..

Thanks Everyone! The hutch I really want is lovely.... and massive... but about 100 over budget lol
    Mine live in a shed, and I have an internal mesh door - so thru the day the main wooden door is wedged open, giving them loads of air and light

You can get a decent shed for about 180 ish, plus you can add shelves (mine has two extra shelves, each one half the length of the shed) really cheaply, which definitely is what rescues need you to have (as i rescued my two)

You can also get cheap mesh on eBay for around 30. I get mine from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/easipet

and this mesh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wir...ht_1759wt_1037

it is the 1" x 0.5" stuff, but you can get away with the 1" x 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert & Tia View Post
    Mine live in a shed, and I have an internal mesh door - so thru the day the main wooden door is wedged open, giving them loads of air and light

You can get a decent shed for about 180 ish, plus you can add shelves (mine has two extra shelves, each one half the length of the shed) really cheaply, which definitely is what rescues need you to have (as i rescued my two)
    Hmmm I'd love a shed for him, How big is yours? Do you have a hutch (for sleeping) within?

Quote Originally Posted by Peterbunny View Post
    Hmmm I'd love a shed for him, How big is yours? Do you have a hutch (for sleeping) within?
    the shed is 6ft x 4ft (then each shelf is 4ft x 3ft)... inside they have a bed box, and a cardboard box filled with straw

This is their shed: they don't have the soft bed on the top anymore - because they chewed it, they have various cardboard boxes now, cos they just chew them we put perspex on the door in winter (but we leave some mesh at the top for ventilation) to stop rain, and keep it a bit warmer but they still get light this is quite an old pic - they now have a huuuuuge canopy above the door too (again to stop rain and help us to not get wet)..... they love their shed i always think it looks small cos i cant take a pic at a better angle cos our house is in the way

eta: they now have two underbed storage boxes, and a corner litter tray on the bottom, cos they forgot their litter trained habits when we went on holiday and they have carpet to go in, and new lino (which is going up the walls on the bottom level), and they have a new wooden tunnel on the top too - and they have their food hay on their top shelf now (they eat more if its up there)
    Last edited by Rupert & Tia; 27-09-2012 at 04:36 PM.