• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat celery?

I don't cut mine because I hand feed and watch how they're eating it, they love it

I'd still chop it even if you are there when they eating it. Even if you are there to help if they start chocking its better to avoid the chocking in the first place.

I feed chunks too and know of several reported cases of bunnies choking on the strings (neither survived). Also chop for safest option :)

I've been wondering about this chopping celery up as I always do as I read they can choke but some leaves that I feed, particularly plantain leaves are quite stringy and the bunnies manage these fine? Surely it's in their nature to cope with stringy things?? After all hay is pretty stringy too! Like I said I do chop it up but every time I'm chopping it I wonder if I'm being silly! :oops:

Sometimes when I chop it though the string is so tough even a knife takes a bit of effort to get through it so imagine bunny teeths would have similar probs.

All of mine love celery, particularly the celery leaves, but I chop the stalks as a precaution too.

Back