• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hawthorn Berries?

They aren't poisonous as such and us hoomins can eat them (though unless your making summat with em i wouldn't bother:lol:).

However and it is a big HOWEVER, they are a very potent cardiac drug and as such are deemed unsafe for such tiny bodies as our buns. They are used to slow the heart rate down and are used in humans for heart disease. Such a herb could have very serious consequences when given to something that is less than 10% of the size of a person.

So are they poisonous? No
Are they safe for buns? No

All of the above is based on 'ifs' and 'mights' but it's not worth the risk IMO;)

They aren't poisonous as such and us hoomins can eat them (though unless your making summat with em i wouldn't bother:lol:).

However and it is a big HOWEVER, they are a very potent cardiac drug and as such are deemed unsafe for such tiny bodies as our buns. They are used to slow the heart rate down and are used in humans for heart disease. Such a herb could have very serious consequences when given to something that is less than 10% of the size of a person.

So are they poisonous? No
Are they safe for buns? No

All of the above is based on 'ifs' and 'mights' but it's not worth the risk IMO;)

Thank you Geoff, i dont feel 'happy' giving them the berries so they are all going in the bin.
xx

Thank you Geoff, i dont feel 'happy' giving them the berries so they are all going in the bin.
xx

Or you could bung em out on the bird table, they don't seem to affect blackbirds;)

Mind you I always thought blackbirds were quite heartless as they are always fighting so that might be why:lol::lol:

Or you could bung em out on the bird table, they don't seem to affect blackbirds;)

Mind you I always thought blackbirds were quite heartless as they are always fighting so that might be why:lol::lol:

Hehehe, tbh i daren't throw them out in the garden incase one of the buns gets them.
Will bin the lot it really isn't worth me worrying about it.
Julie. xx

In addition to Geof's people's excellent advice. I never give buns even safe berries which have hard seeds in them. They can break/crack a tooth. Also impaction further down the GI tract has been described.
Also on the subject of hawthorn I understand that the buds & flowers also contain the chemical which slows heart rate, so I remove those from Spring growth too.

In addition to Geof's people's excellent advice. I never give buns even safe berries which have hard seeds in them. They can break/crack a tooth. Also impaction further down the GI tract has been described.
Also on the subject of hawthorn I understand that the buds & flowers also contain the chemical which slows heart rate, so I remove those from Spring growth too.

Thank you, i have put the whole lot in the dustbin apart from the branches and leaves.
I trust the branches are ok?
xx

Thank you, i have put the whole lot in the dustbin apart from the branches and leaves.
I trust the branches are ok?
xx

The branches are fine & a good source of a different fibre from hay. My Benjie eats the lot, leaves & twigs.

mine love hawthorn leaves fresh or dried, but especially like the twigs/branches when they have dried out for a couple of days and are nice and crunchy :love:

Hawthorn dries so easily, it is very good to store and doesn't go mouldy like a lot of other forage :thumb:

I've always seen it as good fibre, good for the teeth, a treat and yummy for the buns (bit like a rabbit kinder egg, ticks all the boxes)

Back