• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spikey things in hay

This morning for the third time I felt something sharp in my hay and actually a spike of it got stuck in my finger twice. I think it's was a thistle but I can't be sure. The hay is called Devonshire Meadow Hay and the lady in the pet shop said it was the best quality one so I choose it and it smells really nice and the pigs seem to like it. I think it's got wild grasses etc. mixed in as well but now I've found these wretched sharp things that seem to pop up every once in a while. Will they harm the pigs?

xx

ps. any tips for storing hay? it's just sitting in the plastic bag it came in atm.

Don't know about pigs but my bunnies love them and search them out.

Don't they hurt them because they are so spikey? Just wondering because when I was little I read an animal ark book once about a little girl who had to sift thorugh her hay everytime she fed her pig to check for thistles and once she forgot and the pig had to go to the vets because it got it stuck in its thoat or something?? :?

Well like I say I know nothing about pigs but they don't hurt my bunnies, they'd just leave them if it hurt when they ate them.

Back