• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which hay?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Is there a certain hay that the rabbits should be given for eating? I have always just used meadow hay which they eat fine but thought maybe I should get something else for eating? Timothy, alfalfa? What's the best type or is it just considered a treat if they are fine eating plain old meadow hay?! Thanks :wave:

Plain meadow is fine providing it's decent quality and not stale or damp.

Timothy, oat, wheat, barley and that sort of thing are also fine. I keep them as a treat or it's too expensive!

Alfalfa is very rich and hih in calcium so it's best avoided other than for very young rabbits.

Mine have Burns meadow hay. It's always good quality and quite a good price. It's the only one they will always eat, but sometimes I mix in some of the treat type hays for a little something extra :wave:

Mine have Burns meadow hay. It's always good quality and quite a good price. It's the only one they will always eat, but sometimes I mix in some of the treat type hays for a little something extra :wave:

Thanks :wave: I may treat them :lol: I'm going to make my own treat hays with some of the forage iv been drying for winter, although there's not that much of it cos I keep giving it to them!! :lol:

Back