• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to persuade him to eat more hay - help please

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Good morning,

Looking for some help please - bun was a little under the weather last week, not eating, etc. took him to the vet who gave him an injection to keep his belly working and as always, he was back to normal the next day.

However, he seems to have lost his appetite for hay - he's never been a big hay eater but at the moment he's barely eating any.

He'll eat a small amount of readigrass and also a dandelion and oat mix.

Any suggestions please? Have tried so many different types and have just ordered another sample pack to try and tempt him. Have cut back on nuggets too.

Thanks xx

Could it be tooth related? It might be as well to get his checked. Having said that, some of my buns don't eat a lot of hay either but remain healthy. My friend's rabbits are 10 now and theyndon't eat a terrific amount of hay, they prefer dried food. As long as he eats some long fibre every day in the form of grass, hay or Readigrass I think he should be ok.

What breed is he? My minilop buck has never eaten much hay and he's 11 now! I've tried him on every hay going and he's not really bothered and usually just nudges it out of the way! May be try him with some grass and see if he prefers that?

Thanks for your replies - Rolo is a mini lop and he's 3 1/2 years old. He had a dental in May but when he went to the vet last week, the vet checked his teeth and said they were ok.

I'll keep trying but can't force him. I've ordered some samples of different types so hopefully something might take his fancy.

Thanks again 🐰

Back