• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple twigs

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
So my neighbours got an apple tree overhanging into their garden. Now I got apple sticks through here for my buns the other day and they loved it! So am keen to get some more for them but can it just be any apple tree? Don't want to get this wrong.

This is the tree

81A0998D-B4A7-4A66-A608-95D1AF525126-7951-000014A01C8CDA63_zpsc093c8b4.jpg

Yup :thumb: Any kind of apple tree is fine but please make sure it hasn't been sprayed and avoid any diseased branches. Looks very nommy :thumb::love: Lucky buns!

Yup :thumb: Any kind of apple tree is fine but please make sure it hasn't been sprayed and avoid any diseased branches. Looks very nommy :thumb::love: Lucky buns!

Thank you! They have been loving them and now associate my voice with food! hahahaha

Apple branches and leaves are my buns' favourite wood to eat. They love rose too, and hawthorn and willow but apple seems to be the one they go mad for.

Anyone know about wild (crab) apples? There are loads in the hedgerows round here, and so far I have stuck with my cultivated apple trees' branches, but what about wild apples? I know some of those small Chinese ornamental apples have poisonous fruit, but what about native wild ones?

Apple branches and leaves are my buns' favourite wood to eat. They love rose too, and hawthorn and willow but apple seems to be the one they go mad for.

Anyone know about wild (crab) apples? There are loads in the hedgerows round here, and so far I have stuck with my cultivated apple trees' branches, but what about wild apples? I know some of those small Chinese ornamental apples have poisonous fruit, but what about native wild ones?

Doughnut has rose leaves and rose petals, would she like the branches then? Do you cut the thorns off and are they good for her? She loves apple branches as well.

Doughnut has rose leaves and rose petals, would she like the branches then? Do you cut the thorns off and are they good for her? She loves apple branches as well.

I do cut the thorns off, but would be interested to know if everyone does, as presumably in the wild, they'd eat things like hawthorn, roses and brambles complete with thorns? So I have often wondered about this, too..?

Spenser has had leaves and a few twigs from a local source, but he seems to prefer the Leicestershire variety we buy from Fluffers.

We are very lucky that my husbands nan has an apple orchard which she doesn't bother with so we can have unlimited branches and leaves. My two go mad for them and can strip a massive branch of its leaves and bark overnight.

I do cut the thorns off, but would be interested to know if everyone does, as presumably in the wild, they'd eat things like hawthorn, roses and
brambles complete with thorns? So I have often wondered about this, too..?

I think this depends on the bun. My marbles will wolf it down thorns an' all but misfit won't touch it unless I dethorn it first. She puts her nose near it then backs away. Give it a go and see.

Back