• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

summer to winter veg change in diet

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser hasn't had bought veg, other than carrot, for a couple of month, but his supply of fresh garden noms will not last much longer. I have some dried stuff, and can get more, but am concerned he will miss out by not having fresh ... will I need to reintroduce bought herbs gradually?

Grass is edible all year round, and it takes a very harsh winter to strip all the leaves off of brambles. They are my buns mainstay over winter. I also carry on picking twigs from safe trees and they seem to go down well even if they have no leaves:thumb:

I do start introducing a little pelleted food at this time of year, just to make sure they get all their minerals. In fact I should be getting my Allen and Page natural rabbit pellets any moment now:D

I was thinking this today as I collected a lovely mixed pile of forage; I've learned so much about natural foods from this forum and love collecting/identifying trying different plants. Bougth stuff they've only had some grated carrot and white cabbage plus a wide range of herbs so I think I might start to slowly introduce some other veg ready for winter. Presumably dandelions last through winter as well as brambles and grass?

dandelions die back usually (and in a dry autumn can suffer from mildew so watch out for that).

If you can start collecting extra now to dry - especially willow which dries SO easily.

As Geoff's People said Bramble is a real treasure in winter - it will hold its leaves until at least Feb (when buns start to go off it for some reason . . . )

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately Spenser doesn't like brambles leaves. :roll: He has had them from a variety of sources and invariably turns his nose up at them. One good thing is that seems to enjoy dried forage as much as fresh, but he will miss his bean leaves. I think there is a good few days of fresh strawberry leaves left for him.

Back