• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies got to a packet of crackers - please advise

Django

Young Bun
Went to check on my bunnies before bedtime and saw that they somehow pulled a bag to the floor and found a packet of crackers! They ripped open the packaging and munched through about 8 to 10 crackers! I understand that crackers are bad for their digestion, what are the risks and what should I do? Their next scheduled feed is tomorrow morning.

Monitor them closely and give them lots of hay and water. If they start acting wierd take them to the vet.

OK thanks I'll keep an eye on them. They both seem pretty normal this morning, perhaps less hungry than usual!

Little monkeys! If they seem ok now then I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on them :) My Boris once hopped onto the table and gorged himself on freshly baked gingerbread :shock: And he was fine. He did produce some very odd poops afterwards though :mrgreen:

just keep an eye on them. ashamed to say i used to take crackers down to bisc and matts shed to snack on while i was in there, and would sometimes give them a little bit :shock:

mine have managed to get a packet of biscuits down and were ok after eating them. The only time one of my buns was ill was when she ate some cat biscuits :(

Little monkeys! If they seem ok now then I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on them :) My Boris once hopped onto the table and gorged himself on freshly baked gingerbread :shock: And he was fine. He did produce some very odd poops afterwards though :mrgreen:

did they smell of gingerbread??:lol:

Hope theyre ok... rupert nicked a jammy dodger once and tia a bourbon cream :shock: they had them before i even realised they were gone! they were fine tho x

One of mine pinched a custard cream out of my mouth once, ran off and ate it (half of it before I managed to retrieve it!) and he was fine afterwards. :)

Thanks for all your replies. They've both been their usual selves today, the only thing I noticed this morning was urine more brightly coloured than normal - actually this makes me wonder how long it usually takes for a rabbit to digest food? Over the next few days I'll be giving them more fresh hay than usual, but I was also planning to give them less greens and pellets than they normally have - what do you people think about that?

I like this thread. Is there one with "the oddest thing your bunny ate?":lol::lol:
I hope your bunnies are fine, I think it should be ok, some crackers shouldn't hurt their bellies:)
It is sad that now Chrissy can't eat odd things because of the teeth extraction in some way:( I remember her ripping apart the floor covering of my dorm room when I was doing my Bachelor Degree:D)

Yesterday I made some shortbread and marbles was all over me trying to eat some, I had to hold the plate above my head! They seem to like biscuity type things, must be the smell.

Once I left a plate of curry on the floor for 2 secs, not thinking a rabbit would be remotely interested in it. Returned to a rabbit licking it off the plate, and not just the rice but the actual sauce :shock: Somehow she was absolutely fine after!! Same bunny also had a thing for jaffa cakes!

I like this thread. Is there one with "the oddest thing your bunny ate?":lol::lol:
I hope your bunnies are fine, I think it should be ok, some crackers shouldn't hurt their bellies:)
It is sad that now Chrissy can't eat odd things because of the teeth extraction in some way:( I remember her ripping apart the floor covering of my dorm room when I was doing my Bachelor Degree:D)

Poor Chrissy. I agree with you, a thread for the oddest thing your bunny ate would be hilarious, as long as the bunnies were ok afterwards ;)

My Charlie would eat just about anything if I let him, not sure about curry though :lol:

Yesterday I made some shortbread and marbles was all over me trying to eat some, I had to hold the plate above my head! They seem to like biscuity type things, must be the smell.

Once I left a plate of curry on the floor for 2 secs, not thinking a rabbit would be remotely interested in it. Returned to a rabbit licking it off the plate, and not just the rice but the actual sauce :shock: Somehow she was absolutely fine after!! Same bunny also had a thing for jaffa cakes!

Bunnies have a thing for fenugreek which is often in curries!

Rupert thinks he lives in an edible world. He eats EVERYTHING. Bed legs, skirting boards, wardrobes, carpet, his litter tray, the wall in the garden, he even ate the plastic bottles I put over the bed legs to stop him eating those. He worries me greatly. When Milly sees something new she sniffs it, Rupert takes a bite. I don't know if any of you watch 'Shaun the Sheep'? I'm a HUGE fan (at 40!). Rupert looks just like that big fat sheep that consumes everything in sight. It's really quite spooky!

I had a bunny who used to like the dregs in the bottom of the glass which had been filled with red wine :lol:

Thanks for all your replies. Well the only thing I've noticed was they both produced a ton of poo yesterday! Also the more fluffy of the two rabbits had a bit of a dirty bottom so yesterday so I wiped away some of the muck. I assume that if they ate the crackers on Thursday night last week that it has passed through by now (???). Our female rabbit hasn't been at all impressed with getting a less food over the weekend, she was jumping all over the place, peeing all around the hutch, and nibbling the other rabbits bottom (of course not maliciously!) - she always does these things when she doesn't get her way.

I took over feeding the bunnies from another member of my household in May when our male rabbit was bonded with his new female partner at the rescue. I was determined that the rabbits would not get overweight as we had issues in the past with giving too many pellets and treats (10 crackers does not help of course!). Now I typically give a "handful" (probably about 300g) of pellets for both rabbits each day plus loads of greens and timothy hay. The one thing I've noticed with our new female housemate is that she does love to chew and apparently eat cardboard. I sometimes wonder how she can digest that at all?

It was encouraging to see that no one who replied to this thread seems to have had a bad experience with their rabbit eating crackers or biscuits, but I was wondering what the worst case might be, could eating loads of crackers cause gut stasis?

Bunnies have a thing for fenugreek which is often in curries!

This makes sense now, thank you! I think it was quite a hot one too, that could have been nasty :? At least I've learnt not to leave curry lying around! I've never tried her with fenugreek crunchies but perhaps I should :lol:

Over the last 2 nights my two have managed to steal some bourbon biscuits and nibbled at a stick of rock! Apart from a bit of a sugar rush (and me almost having a nervous breakdown!:lol:) they don't seem to have had any ill-effect!

Back