• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do slugs like nuggets?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
The slugs seem to be out in force at the moment.

The past couple of mornings I've woke up to find slug trails in Leons hutch:shock: Even worse they are in his bowl as well:(

I have a copper strip at the bottom of Leons hutch which seemed to be working for a while but now there back. I have re-newed part of the copper strip (didnt have much left) but still found trails afterwards. I will get more copper.

I have now some beer out and found a few small ones in it. I dont really want to kill them but I dont want them in the hutches either! I read somewhere that slugs dont like rough surface but they are trailing of stones to get to Leons hutch and I did see a small trail along the hay too so thats not the case.

Leons hutch is next to a patch of soil, so I think thats why they go for his hutch and not Sammys but whats attracting them? Is it the nuggets?

Last night I picked up six big slugs from the area of Leons hutch..........I hate them!

Any other ideas?

They'll eat anything if they are hungry enough. Do you have much else for them to eat in your garden? A potted herb or something might draw them away from the hutch.

I have this trouble too. Sometimes I catch them in the act, squeezing through the holes in the wire! The girls don't seem to mind, in fact I caught misfit trying to eat a snail the other day :oops: But it would be nice to keep them away nonetheless.

Mine only get a small amount of pellets in the morning so there's never any left in their bowl when the slugs come out. I don't know what it is that attracts them.

I'd be interested in any solutions too. By the way where do you get copper strips from? Not tried that myself.

Well they never go to Sammys hutch but Sammy lives for his food so there's never anything left in his bowl:) but Leon can sometimes have nuggets left from the next day.

I will try the potted herb idea, thanks

Spraying WD40 on a surface is supposed to stop them slithering up it, but obviously only lasts until it rains.

A circle of salt around the cage...that will stop them.It kills them I know but it keeps them away...

Salt or crushed up egg shell is supposed to keep them away. I think they must smell the rabbit food as I often find them weaved into the mesh on the top floor of Baby's hutch (where I feed her), eurgh horrible things, it's not nice having to try unweave a load of giant slugs from mesh using a big stick :roll:

I used the lids of the two part curry jars from aldi, they are just the right size for the hutch feet and filled them with salt sorted my problem, also I put a saucer of unwanted food outside the hutch snails welcome and the hedgehog eats the slugs :D

They love rabbit food. I just leave them a pile of it on the floor and they eat that instead of going in to eat it. :)
Someone on here said they like cucumber so I'm going to get some of that and chop it up for them. I'll just leave it under the hutch.

Yeah, the other day poor Buttons looked terrified - they were crawling across her hutch! Yuck. Circle of salt soon stopped them :)

The slugs we had last year preferred Buckley's poops to his food. Salt and coffee grounds keep away slugs and ants which is always handy.

A circle of salt around the cage...that will stop them.It kills them I know but it keeps them away...

Exactly this, bloody brilliant, I don't like finding piles of slime where they used to be though :(

I hate seeing them weaving their way through the mesh on the hutches :roll:

Back