• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideas needed for stop rabbit licking his neuter wound.

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I got my boys neutered today. All went well. Since they've been home is when the trouble started.

Buster has opened his wound again. Been back to the vets and got it re glued. But he's still licking away at it.

So far vet put a lampshade type coller on him. Which was no good as Brownie just pulled it off.
Made him a jumper to wear but he soon got out of that too.
I tried bandaging it but no that was a fail too.

Anyone got any other ideas? I am terrified he's going to reopen it again. He's just mad about licking and cleaning it. I have to go to bed soon as have to do the school run in the morning. I can't bring him in as he's a outdoor bun and its quite warm in here.

Any ideas greatfully tried

Foxy and Mr foxy (who is now Buster public enemy number one for putting above mentioned t-shirt on him)

Separate the buns but so that they can still see each other (so you dont break the bond) and put the lampshade collar back on. Not sure how he managed to pull it off :?

If you need to bring them in just open a window and turn the heating off in the room you need to bring them into - the temp difference at this time of year should be minimal.

Thank you,

I put the boys in seperate parts of the hutch and run. Buster did very well with his collar on (it was a very long night for me keep getting up and checking on them). Now i have put them both in the run for breakfast and took the collar off as he couldn't eat with it on. He seems happier and not gone near it now he's out and about. Will keep a eye on him today but hopefully it was just the fact it was newly done and smelled of the vets he didn't like.

Their a bit off their food. Not interested in pellets but happy to munch some danilion leaves, hay and grass. Their also drinking and pooing so not too worried.

Sorry- I don't have any sensible ideas. I can imagine your bunny thinking, 'Rabbits aren't supposed to wear clothes- silly humans'. I do hope the stitches manage to stay in for long enough.

Sorry- I don't have any sensible ideas. I can imagine your bunny thinking, 'Rabbits aren't supposed to wear clothes- silly humans'. I do hope the stitches manage to stay in for long enough.

If you could have seen the look on his face. He was so not impressed .

He's fine now and has had a little lick to clean it but other than that leaving it alone right now. I am checking him every 20 mintues or so and fingers crossed he's going to be fine now.

Hopefully be able to get them out for some free ranging time tonight. Vet said to leave them in the hutch last night. Their currently in their run attached to their hutch sunbathing :D.

You need to restrict them jumping about for couple of days but I dont see a problem with bringing them into a room where they arent going to jump on sofas and things.

Glad hes leaving his wound alone now. Keep an eye on him but hopefully he'll ignore it now.

If they are eating plenty of their hay I wouldnt worry too much, theyre probably just a bit under the weather if you havent been given pain relief for them after.

Glad he's doing better. I do wonder if there is anything you can apply to a wound area that would taste horrible and put them off licking it?

'Their currently in their run attached to their hutch sunbathing .'
Sunbathing after surgery reminds me of when people go abroad for plastic surgery. I hope the healing process is coming along nicely.

Back