• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets for overweight bunnies?

Kit06

Young Bun
Hello, my buns get ad-lib hay, fresh leaves, herbs etc and an egg cup full of SS pellets between two each day. They are getting a bit tubby in my opinion. They both got vaccinated today and I asked how few pellets can you give whilst still providing the vitamins etc that they need? They just gave me a sample of Excel light (I'm not keen on feeding Excel) and said to follow recommendations, which for my buns would be 120g per day between them - 120g!!! Would reducing their SS pellets to a few a day be ok? Would they miss out on any vits and minerals they need? Are there any other pellets which would do the job better like Fibafirst? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm not an exppert but SS pellets are made with Lucerne which is alfalfa so not good for o/weight buns. Oxbow are very good as made with Timothy grass and are high inn fibre, low in protein. Excel is made from meadow grass and lucerne so if you're not keen on Burgess I would opt for Oxbow and feed greens for vitamins and minerals. Hope this helps.

I don't feed pellets at all hun, so long as you provide quality hay and a varied selection of wild forage I don't think they are needed at all.
Some people prefer to feed a few, others the recommended amount but for me and my guys we only ever feed pellets if weights drop too low:thumb:

I feed Excel Light - it has more fibre than the 'normal' one. (One eggcupful per day between 2).

You dont have to feed pellets at all if your buns are a little overweight.
At one point a couple of mine didnt eat any pellets because they were a little chunky :)

This! Esme was overweight for a long time and one of the vets showed me an x-ray he had taken of her pointing out all the stored fat, which shocked me then he said that pellets were the equivalent of us eating digestive biscuits so cutting them out is not cruel at all or going to starve them of anything essential. I stopped giving Esme pellets completely (she's only been getting a small amount as I was trying in vein to get her weight down). She's now a sensible weight and doesn't get pellets.

Back