• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring greens

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
I've been told spring greens are good for my buns and they can have as much as they want. Nowbto me the greens look like cabbage so now want to know if this is right. Their diet is predominantly hay of course but they do like a leaf of green.

Spring greens are good for bunnies but i wouldn't give them as much as they want mine get some every day but only about a hand full per pair of bunnies

Spring greens are good for bunnies but i wouldn't give them as much as they want mine get some every day but only about a hand full per pair of bunnies

ETA i slice mine as some of my bunnies sit on the full leaves so the other can't get any :roll:

Mine get a quarter of a leaf per day and I'm not sure if even that is too much.

The more you give them of anything means they will eat less hay.

Mine get a quarter of a leaf per day and I'm not sure if even that is too much.

The more you give them of anything means they will eat less hay.

I think my two would leave home if only given this amount. They are very good hay eaters but just love their veg/herbs. They only get an eggcupful of pellets each a day, so think that helps with the hay intake.

I give mine a leaf each. I tried one leaf but it ended up as a scene of lady and the tramp, until Watson ripped it out of Moses's mouth. Typical girl :love:

Good to know they are good as I did worry a bit to be honest.

I would only give them about half a leaf a day. They are a very gassy veg like other cabbages and can cause bloat and gas in bunnies as my Bluebell knows well! I expect some bunnies have problems with gas more than others but I would defintely try and get different veg as well and alternate it a bit.

I would only give them about half a leaf a day. They are a very gassy veg like other cabbages and can cause bloat and gas in bunnies as my Bluebell knows well! I expect some bunnies have problems with gas more than others but I would defintely try and get different veg as well and alternate it a bit.

What veg can I give them where I dont have to worry about gas so much?

I do give mine spring greens but about a leaf each a day at different times, brocolli is also gassy but i give them small amounts of that. I give them celery and celery leaves (chopped up), as a treat they get baby sweetcorn and small amounts of carrot and apple (the last two are quite high in sugar so only on occasion) Also mine like watercress and you can give them rocket although mine are not that keen. I sometimes get carrots with the tops on they love the tops off carrots. I also give them cauliflower leaves and also curly kale.
I also collect loads of forage for them like dandilions, grass, plantain, clover brambles, hawthorne and beach leaves.

It's nigh impossible to get the balance right but what works for one rabbit doesn't necessarily work for another. Spring greens is the main green food for my rabbits. They get small pieces of apple and carrot occasionally but I try to give them as much natural food, such as grass and dandelions, rasperry leave etc as I can.

I do give mine spring greens but about a leaf each a day at different times, brocolli is also gassy but i give them small amounts of that. I give them celery and celery leaves (chopped up), as a treat they get baby sweetcorn and small amounts of carrot and apple (the last two are quite high in sugar so only on occasion) Also mine like watercress and you can give them rocket although mine are not that keen. I sometimes get carrots with the tops on they love the tops off carrots. I also give them cauliflower leaves and also curly kale.
I also collect loads of forage for them like dandilions, grass, plantain, clover brambles, hawthorne and beach leaves.

All the ones I've bolded are high in calcium so if you are trying to avoid gassy veg you've also got to watch out for the high calcuim stuff that you could be using to replace it!! Some high calcium is okay but just avoid giving ALL high calcium veg.

It's nigh impossible to get the balance right but what works for one rabbit doesn't necessarily work for another. Spring greens is the main green food for my rabbits. They get small pieces of apple and carrot occasionally but I try to give them as much natural food, such as grass and dandelions, rasperry leave etc as I can.

All the ones I've bolded are high in calcium so if you are trying to avoid gassy veg you've also got to watch out for the high calcuim stuff that you could be using to replace it!! Some high calcium is okay but just avoid giving ALL high calcium veg.

Yes I agree the balance is difficult which is why its best alternating them a bit to make sure they are not getting too much calcium etc. Spring greens are convenient in that they are cheap, easy to store and don't go off too quick and bunnies love them it just tends to give one of my bunnies gas and then she stops eating so she doesnt get much spring greens nowadays! I too agree with getting lots of wild forage...not only is is good for bunnies but i actually enjoy going out collecting forage as it makes me go on walks and its free!

At the moment I am finding cabbage to be fresher than spring greens, you have just got to look before you buy.

Back