• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pebbles needs fibre me thinks

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well Pebbles has started getting squishy poops. Now he isn't the best bun at eating hay and I have yet to find one that he will devour :roll: So what other things are good for fibre? I know Plantain is good and I am going to buy some today but what other things could I get hold of from the shop??

bramble leaves I think.

Have you tried the H4P hays and normal baled hay?

Could you cut grass for him? Will he eat readigrass?

bramble leaves I think.

Have you tried the H4P hays and normal baled hay?

Could you cut grass for him? Will he eat readigrass?

Oh yeah I bought a bag of H4P hay and he seems to hate it :roll: luckily the guineas and Rosie like it though.
I have been meaning to try readigrass as he enjoys eating grass lots. I have pretty much been depending on the grass to keep some fibre going through him. What are good redigrass' to try? And how often would I feed as I remember hearing it is high in calcium

Oh yeah I bought a bag of H4P hay and he seems to hate it :roll: luckily the guineas and Rosie like it though.
I have been meaning to try readigrass as he enjoys eating grass lots. I have pretty much been depending on the grass to keep some fibre going through him. What are good redigrass' to try? And how often would I feed as I remember hearing it is high in calcium

it's high in calcium. the best grass for fibre is timothy :D

There is only one type of readigrass, LittleEskimo. People keep saying its high in calcium, but it is just dried grass, nothing added. Both my vet and the RWAF have advised that it is fine for healthy buns to be free-fed it. It is higher in calcium than some other hays, but not higher than a lot of veg, and of course pellets, so not sure where all the warnings have comes about not feeding much of it. It is richer than normal hay, and so should be introduced fairly slowly as you would fresh grass.

I feed it every day, between 2-4 handfuls between my two. Sometimes I buy other short-cut hays like the P@H timothy or the excel hays, and mix them in with it to encourage hay eating.

There is only one type of readigrass, LittleEskimo. People keep saying its high in calcium, but it is just dried grass, nothing added. Both my vet and the RWAF have advised that it is fine for healthy buns to be free-fed it. It is higher in calcium than some other hays, but not higher than a lot of veg, and of course pellets, so not sure where all the warnings have comes about not feeding much of it.

I agree with this - the thinking has changed on Readigrass.

I would possibly be wary if I had any buns prone to bladder sludge but for a healthy bun it should be fine.

I have a huge bale of readigrass, if you pop me your address in a PM I can send you a sample so he can try before you buy? :wave:

Back