• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit rescue in Aberdeen.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We've been asked to help with rehoming 17 rabbits, the SSPCA will not help. He owner has breast cancer and COPD. The rabbits are not being kept in great conditions, small, low hutches, green water bottles, no hay apparent in the hutches, the hutches are cleaned weekly- obviously the toilet areas are pretty bad by then. They are all female ( we can take the 3 males at least), mainly lionheads but some larger ones and some nethie types. We hope to get them all out by tomorrow ( taking hutches too, to hopefully stop the lady taking in anymore).
We would hope to then transport from here to other rescues/ individuals who can help.
None are neutered or vaccinated. Ages range from. 2 to 5 years old.

Contact Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care and see if they can help.
They are Glasgow based.
I can't help with fostering as I need to sort out my set ups for my own bunnies first.
But please pm me if i can help in any way for some of the cost to help lighten the load a little.
Hope all goes well!!

Thank you both.
I am hoping to pick the bunnies up this weekend, just didn't have time last weekend as we have to sort out 16 hutches and I am taking the lady's hutches away too because if she does start hoarding again, she at least has to buy more.

Debbie ( Collielover) is helping out and knows a few rescues who can help too- so I hope we can get most of them to a proper rehoming rescue so they can find a forever home.

Being me, I can't be of any long-term use, but I'm free this weekend if you would like an extra pair of rabbit-handling hands? I don't know how long it takes to remove 17 bunnies! Thought I would say just in case :wave:

Have you spoken to Bunny Buddies and the other rescue down Edinburgh way? Can't quite remember the name...something Here I think?

Last edited:
Thanks Sarah Mary, I'll get back to you once I confirm times.
Debbie is contacting I think Bunny burrows, fairly beloved and hutches ( I think that's correct). My friend is taking a female and I know it will be a good home. We will keep the 3 boys and possibly the fluffy bonded sisters and Debbie is taking the aggressive female.
I would love to take them all but just don't have the facilities to give them run space immediately or money to neuter and vaccinate them all.:oops:

No problem. I've just looked them up, the other rescue is Paws Here. They're in Edinburgh. Buddies Bunny Rescue is in Midlothian, and their site does say they aren't taking in buns atm, but it might not be up-to-date. I'm not sure where Collielover is so perhaps she already knows about them?

I would happily take a few off your hands if I could. D'you think a bun would fit in a cupboard? :D;)

All organised, the bunnies are being collected on sunday afternoon and will be here until they can be taken to other rescues.
I know it sounds cheeky, but if anybody wants to help with vaccinating these, so that the rescues concerned don't have to fork out for it, please give me a shout.
It looks like we are keeping 5, and we will pay for them, but it would be good if we could take the pressure off the rescues helping buy sending down vaccinated buns.

Last edited:
All organised, the bunnies are being collected on sunday afternoon and will be here until they can be taken to other rescues.
I know it sounds cheeky, but if anybody wants to help with vaccinating these, so that the rescues concerned don't have to fork out for it, please give me a shout.
It looks like we are keeping 5, and we will pay for them, but it would be good if we could take the pressure off the rescues helping buy sending down vaccinated buns.
:wave: How does one help towards this?

:wave: How does one help towards this?

i'm not sure how to go about this, i could ask my vet if he could do a deal and how much he would charge for a batch of vaccines- i guess then if people trust me they could send money by paypal or send direct to the rescues taking them and they can vaccinate the bunnies once they get there.

i'm not sure how to go about this, i could ask my vet if he could do a deal and how much he would charge for a batch of vaccines- i guess then if people trust me they could send money by paypal or send direct to the rescues taking them and they can vaccinate the bunnies once they get there.

When you say quote for a batch of vaccines, is this for you to adminster? Could we not pay the Vet direct and specify what it's for?

You can do, I work at the vet so can post a quote, you can just send a payment direct to the vet. The vet is happy to let me inject my animals myself and it is obviously cheaper than having the vet do a consult to administer.
This is all speculative, even if the vet only charges me half price to do the 11 buns going to rescue, it will still cost nearly £200 and there is no way I can cover it- our own vet bills are £1200 a month and we will have to find £100 on top to do the ones staying here and then neuter.

Perhaps, if people have concerns it would be best if we transport the rabbits unvaccinated, list the rescues who have helped and if people want to, they can send a donation to that rescue. Then at least folk know they have helped those rabbits and the rescues who have taken them in.

Hi,

Was just doing a rare scan through the forums - rarely get time unfortunately.

I'm glad we could be helping out with these girls, and we're just about set for their arrival. Just wandering what the outcome of the vaccination discussions were - are they vaccinated or still to be done? Just so we know what will be required.

Do you have any photos yet? Not sure if you'll know which ones will make it our direction as I understand Debbie is collecting for a number of rescues so she'll be collecting more than we will have room for. :) but would be good to see photos of them all anyway.

Hi,

Was just doing a rare scan through the forums - rarely get time unfortunately.

I'm glad we could be helping out with these girls, and we're just about set for their arrival. Just wandering what the outcome of the vaccination discussions were - are they vaccinated or still to be done? Just so we know what will be required.

Do you have any photos yet? Not sure if you'll know which ones will make it our direction as I understand Debbie is collecting for a number of rescues so she'll be collecting more than we will have room for. :) but would be good to see photos of them all anyway.

Hi, unfortunately the rabbits have not been vaccinated yet, we just cannot afford to do it on so many, I'm so sorry to dump them on you like this.
I've had Ebony, the one Debbie is taking to the bet today for a check up as she has a pocket on her tummy which collects pooh!
I'm taking a couple more in later in the week to check them out, in fact I may just get the ones I think are most rehomabl ( and coming to you) check over the rest of this week to make sure they are as healthy as can be.
Thank you for taking them on, we have no specific rabbit rescues up here and no general rescues vaccinate, neuter and home check.

Back