• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit claws

olices

Mama Doe
Hi
I need to trim my bunnies claws, Daisy and Harry as they are not really long, but need doing soon. Can anyone advise me the best way to do this? My previous bunny was very old and she just let me do them. These two are a lot younger and faster. Once they get use to it I'll think they will be fine, it's just getting started.
:)

If they're not very long why do you need to do them?

I've never done mine as they are on the concrete an awful lot and dig an awful lot in the garden when they free range so I can't actually offer any advice I'm afraid, sorry.

When they do need doing I recommend the person they are most familiar with hold them and then someone else go in with the clippers.

If they're not very long why do you need to do them?

I've never done mine as they are on the concrete an awful lot and dig an awful lot in the garden when they free range so I can't actually offer any advice I'm afraid, sorry.

No problem thanks for your reply. We have a concrete patio at the back, but we live in the countryside so have lots of foxes and cats who visit, so i can't let them free range. They have a run for the garden, but not been out much due to the weather! The carpet and tiles in the house where they are free range do not wear their claws down really.:D

I wrap mine in a towel and have someone hold them whilst someone else moves the towel to clip their claws. With Annabella I often take her to the vets though, as she gets very stressed, and as she doesnt like people much anyway I dont want her associating me too much with that stress.

Just make sure you dont put them on their backs and trance them unless you really need to, some people do this and although it is easier for the human, the bun's stress hormone levels rocket, it is terrifying for them. I understand for some buns for some medical procedures it needs to be done, but it is much better to just wrap them in a towel for nail clipping :)

Back