Thread: Rabbit claws

Default Rabbit claws

Hi
    I need to trim my bunnies claws, Daisy and Harry as they are not really long, but need doing soon. Can anyone advise me the best way to do this? My previous bunny was very old and she just let me do them. These two are a lot younger and faster. Once they get use to it I'll think they will be fine, it's just getting started.

Mama Doe

If they're not very long why do you need to do them?

I've never done mine as they are on the concrete an awful lot and dig an awful lot in the garden when they free range so I can't actually offer any advice I'm afraid, sorry.

Forum Buddy

When they do need doing I recommend the person they are most familiar with hold them and then someone else go in with the clippers.
    Talya

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mum to -

The outside buns, George, Bluebelle and Olivia
    The indoor free rangers - Conrad and Fluffernutter (aka Twitchy), Beatrice, Karl and Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    If they're not very long why do you need to do them?

I've never done mine as they are on the concrete an awful lot and dig an awful lot in the garden when they free range so I can't actually offer any advice I'm afraid, sorry.
    No problem thanks for your reply. We have a concrete patio at the back, but we live in the countryside so have lots of foxes and cats who visit, so i can't let them free range. They have a run for the garden, but not been out much due to the weather! The carpet and tiles in the house where they are free range do not wear their claws down really.

[QUOTE=Kavanne;5494435]When they do need doing I recommend the person they are most familiar with hold them and then someone else go in with the clippers.[/QUOTE

Thanks, will see if my husband can hold them and I do the clipping!

I wrap mine in a towel and have someone hold them whilst someone else moves the towel to clip their claws. With Annabella I often take her to the vets though, as she gets very stressed, and as she doesnt like people much anyway I dont want her associating me too much with that stress.

Just make sure you dont put them on their backs and trance them unless you really need to, some people do this and although it is easier for the human, the bun's stress hormone levels rocket, it is terrifying for them. I understand for some buns for some medical procedures it needs to be done, but it is much better to just wrap them in a towel for nail clipping
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM (OR ASK ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES).