Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for my setup UD: help me decide RU!!

Default Suggestions for my setup UD: help me decide RU!!

My setup was only going to be temporary, but now it looks like theyre going to be in it for longer, so I need ideas! Preferably ones which wont cost much, as I'm currently unemployed. Here it is at the moment:

Full view:

Back of run:

Front of run:

Hutch:

As the run isnt massive (8x6ft) and one of my buns is large and the other very active, I need things that wont take away a lot of running-about room from them. But as you can see, its pretty boring at the moment.

I was thinking maybe a tunnel as a starting point, but those bunny green ones are too small for Barney and the ones made for children that I used to get them I dont think will cope well in the rain, and will blow around in the wind.

Any ideas of what I can do to improve?
    Last edited by nessar; 04-08-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Warren Scout

How about using cardboard boxes to make tunnels, you can stick some together with tape,cut holes in to size you need and if strong enough buns can climb on them too. cheap to do and if they get wet or chewed you can easy replace them, I try to keep cinders and PC's tunnels to the edge of the run so they have running space if you know what I mean

Warren Scout

maybe you could build your own wooden tunnel/hidey box thing, it could double as something to run through or hide in as well as jump on top of, my rabbits like jumping on top of things

kinda like this, but obviously not the whole thing, just one tunnel sized one or something although having one of these would be pretty cool
    http://hoppelz.com/index.php?option=...article&id=416

but yeah if you can get some decent cheap ply then you could make a simple one

Just out of curiosity where did you get your hutch??

I like the cardboard idea that Andie17 suggested. .

Sorry no diff ideas but just gotta say that ramp scares the outta me!!! I am admittedly very scared of ramps as I had a rabbit die once after it seemed he had fallen from a ramp that was much less steep than urs and with it being paved below, I would have to put some kind of barrier up if I were u! I did this in my current hutch just using scrap wood to make like banisters!! Sorry just had to say cos I was devastated to lose my bunny

Andie- The problem with cardboard is the weather at the moment, its okay this week but apart from that it has been raining, then sunny, then raining, all in one day. So I'd put it in the run, go out, and come back to a soggy tunnel. And I have nowhere to store it when its not in the run. I think I need something more permenant. If we were having a real summer it would be a great idea

emilee - thats a great idea, probably requires more than my very few DIY skills but I could give it a go!

Summer & skye - yeah I know, its pretty steep! You shouldve seen it before I put the bricks at the base of it. One of my buns wont attempt it, the other will and she is very agile, so I think she will be okay, but I am in the process of planning and then making a new ramp as well on my other thread, which will hopefully be a lot safer!

Kerry - I got it from The Rabbit Hutch Shop, but apparently none of their big hutches are on their website at the moment, but you can ring them up to get them? There is a recent thread on it floating around somewhere. It was 289.00 plus 5 postage. The run is 2ft 4 high which is one of the reasons I got it.
    Last edited by nessar; 24-07-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Warren Scout

im sure the buns won't mind if its a little wonky looking or something just keep it simple, i want to make one in my new set up when i get it finished.

good luck with whatever you do though

If I made something out of wood, would it need staining/painting to stop it going rotten, or would it be okay?

If you are looking for enrichment, then tunnels, boxes, cubes, things they can throw around and chew on.

The run seems a little empty, even a little tunnel (you can get them cheaply on ebay, or other stores) will make all the difference

Hang toilet roll tubes filled with hay and forage...

i seen someone use a sock peg thingy to hang veg, and thought that was a great idea!

cardboard boxes make fantastically fun tunnels - mine love them