• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suggestions for my setup UD: help me decide RU!!

nessar

Warren Veteran
My setup was only going to be temporary, but now it looks like theyre going to be in it for longer, so I need ideas! Preferably ones which wont cost much, as I'm currently unemployed. Here it is at the moment:

Full view:
SAM_3551.jpg

Back of run:
SAM_3552.jpg

Front of run:
SAM_3554.jpg

Hutch:
SAM_3557.jpg

As the run isnt massive (8x6ft) and one of my buns is large and the other very active, I need things that wont take away a lot of running-about room from them. But as you can see, its pretty boring at the moment.

I was thinking maybe a tunnel as a starting point, but those bunny green ones are too small for Barney and the ones made for children that I used to get them I dont think will cope well in the rain, and will blow around in the wind.

Any ideas of what I can do to improve?

Last edited:
:wave:How about using cardboard boxes to make tunnels, you can stick some together with tape,cut holes in to size you need and if strong enough buns can climb on them too. cheap to do and if they get wet or chewed you can easy replace them, I try to keep cinders and PC's tunnels to the edge of the run so they have running space if you know what I mean:D

maybe you could build your own wooden tunnel/hidey box thing, it could double as something to run through or hide in as well as jump on top of, my rabbits like jumping on top of things :)

kinda like this, but obviously not the whole thing, just one tunnel sized one or something :) although having one of these would be pretty cool :)
http://hoppelz.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=416

but yeah if you can get some decent cheap ply then you could make a simple one :)

Sorry no diff ideas but just gotta say that ramp scares the :shock: outta me!!! I am admittedly very scared of ramps as I had a rabbit die once after it seemed he had fallen from a ramp that was much less steep than urs and with it being paved below, I would have to put some kind of barrier up if I were u! I did this in my current hutch just using scrap wood to make like banisters!! Sorry just had to say cos I was devastated to lose my bunny :roll:

Andie- The problem with cardboard is the weather at the moment, its okay this week but apart from that it has been raining, then sunny, then raining, all in one day. So I'd put it in the run, go out, and come back to a soggy tunnel. And I have nowhere to store it when its not in the run. I think I need something more permenant. If we were having a real summer it would be a great idea :lol:

emilee - thats a great idea, probably requires more than my very few DIY skills but I could give it a go!

Summer & skye - yeah I know, its pretty steep! You shouldve seen it before I put the bricks at the base of it. One of my buns wont attempt it, the other will and she is very agile, so I think she will be okay, but I am in the process of planning and then making a new ramp as well on my other thread, which will hopefully be a lot safer!

Kerry - I got it from The Rabbit Hutch Shop, but apparently none of their big hutches are on their website at the moment, but you can ring them up to get them? There is a recent thread on it floating around somewhere. It was 289.00 plus £5 postage. The run is 2ft 4 high which is one of the reasons I got it.

Last edited:
im sure the buns won't mind if its a little wonky looking or something :lol: just keep it simple, i want to make one in my new set up when i get it finished.

good luck with whatever you do though :)

If I made something out of wood, would it need staining/painting to stop it going rotten, or would it be okay?

If you are looking for enrichment, then tunnels, boxes, cubes, things they can throw around and chew on.

The run seems a little empty, even a little tunnel (you can get them cheaply on ebay, or other stores) will make all the difference :)

Hang toilet roll tubes filled with hay and forage...

i seen someone use a sock peg thingy to hang veg, and thought that was a great idea!

cardboard boxes make fantastically fun tunnels - mine love them

Kerry - I got it from The Rabbit Hutch Shop, but apparently none of their big hutches are on their website at the moment, but you can ring them up to get them? There is a recent thread on it floating around somewhere. It was 289.00 plus £5 postage. The run is 2ft 4 high which is one of the reasons I got it.

I was just wondering cause it looks like the hutch we are ordering next week. But we are ordering from the Happy Hutch company. :).

If I made something out of wood, would it need staining/painting to stop it going rotten, or would it be okay?

i would probably give it a stain or paint to keep it nice and protected against the elements or it won't last as long :) if you didn't i think it would still be fine but you'd probably just have to replace it earlier

Have just bought a cat tunnel online, will just use it temporarily until I can make a more sturdy one I think. Hopefully the weather will stay nice enough so it can stay in there for a while.

some ideas - could you put your carrier in there, open?

have you got any wood in the shed or loft that you can hammer together? we got empty wine cases and took off the bottom, ideal.

if you dont have any wood, do you know anyone you could scrounge a few bits off like a diy savy neighbour or someone who's had some renovations done. any empty skips nearby, courteous to ask though

Hi!:wave:

You prob dont want to have to do too much but I thought if you could get 3 new mesh panels...and then raise the existing run roof to just under the hutch roof...the run area would be double in height. Then you could :

Add a shelf halfway up in line with the bottom of the raised hutch (makes sense?eeek!:lol:) ...and make ramp/tunnel that then goes down to the run floor. Also make a hole in the back of the exsiting hutch so they can go onto the new shelf behind the hutch. This would mean that a shelf would be level with the back of the exisitng hutch.

Or

make a hole in the hutch....at the back and attach a wooden tunnel or those tough rubber tunnels from there to a lower shelf at the back of the run. This will mean they can run up into the hutch on the exisitng ramp.....into the hutch and then straight out the back into a tunnel to a shelf and then jump down onto the run floor. Like a circuit.

I'd also add a very large litter tray or even a dig box under the existing hutch now...as the run floor is cement...it can put pressure on hock.s..I found this with mine - when I pulled back the padding on their hocks..they were quite red...so hay is now down to add some cushioning...its is harder to clean, but hey - what can I do!;) I thought a large tray or dig box would given them an option to relieve their hcoks.

Id' close in the existing ramp thats there...its just really steep and is too far from the side of the run for an accident to not happen when they scotting about having fun and it would be such a shame if they hurt themselves...so easily done;) One of mine has falled backwards down the ramp before..if I could Id get rid of the ramps and have secured boxes as hopping steps instead.

Mine LOVe those grasss tunnels...

You could even go all out and make the shelf into a "grass shelf"...how cool is this bench!?
http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/04/MOW-Grass-Bench2.jpg

You could also hang a hayrack/hanging basket under the existing hutch so it hangs down into the dig box area under the exisiting hutch......just somewhere else for them to eat from.

You can get clear plastic to cover the hutch when its raining and pulled back for sunny days....that way you wont have to worry too much about things getting too wet....OR if you did the raised shelf in line with the back of the hutch - it would double as a roof area doubling what they have now at floor level.

Obviously the shelf idea's means you raise the entire run roof area up.

If you dont want to do that - Id still cover the run top with some plyboard to add cover from the back of the hutch...just so the floor area has a larger area protected from rain - so you can put carboards boxes etc under there. Mine adore there grass tunnels...though they can get mouldy in the rain - so have to be under cover and away from damp....otherwise those canvasy tunnels work fine...even in the rain;)
Id also add a bench...for them to hop onto and hide under. I found one in the "skip"....fits perfectly into the run...and those wooden bridge things...fits perfectly onto them for support.

Mine also love it when I pick willow branches...a whole branch that I then stick into the run mesh - they spend time stretching up to eat the different heights of the branches.

Just some idea's I thought of.....hope it makes sense...prob. eaiser if I explained in person or drew a pic! Goodluck! Its hard to make the runs work when they are small...Ive got the same size run, but seperate form the hutches...and I now want an aviary!:lol::love:

oooh...Ive also got a paving slab in the run...the buns often lay on it when they are hot;):wave:

Last edited:
Hi!:wave:

You prob dont want to have to do too much but I thought if you could get 3 new mesh panels...and then raise the existing run roof to just under the hutch roof...the run area would be double in height. Then you could :

Add a shelf halfway up in line with the bottom of the raised hutch (makes sense?eeek!:lol:) ...and make ramp/tunnel that then goes down to the run floor. Also make a hole in the back of the exsiting hutch so they can go onto the new shelf behind the hutch. This would mean that a shelf would be level with the back of the exisitng hutch.

Or

make a hole in the hutch....at the back and attach a wooden tunnel or those tough rubber tunnels from there to a lower shelf at the back of the run. This will mean they can run up into the hutch on the exisitng ramp.....into the hutch and then straight out the back into a tunnel to a shelf and then jump down onto the run floor. Like a circuit.

I'd also add a very large litter tray or even a dig box under the existing hutch now...as the run floor is cement...it can put pressure on hock.s..I found this with mine - when I pulled back the padding on their hocks..they were quite red...so hay is now down to add some cushioning...its is harder to clean, but hey - what can I do!;) I thought a large tray or dig box would given them an option to relieve their hcoks.

Id' close in the existing ramp thats there...its just really steep and is too far from the side of the run for an accident to not happen when they scotting about having fun and it would be such a shame if they hurt themselves...so easily done;) One of mine has falled backwards down the ramp before..if I could Id get rid of the ramps and have secured boxes as hopping steps instead.

Mine LOVe those grasss tunnels...

You could even go all out and make the shelf into a "grass shelf"...how cool is this bench!?
http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/04/MOW-Grass-Bench2.jpg

You could also hang a hayrack/hanging basket under the existing hutch so it hangs down into the dig box area under the exisiting hutch......just somewhere else for them to eat from.

You can get clear plastic to cover the hutch when its raining and pulled back for sunny days....that way you wont have to worry too much about things getting too wet....OR if you did the raised shelf in line with the back of the hutch - it would double as a roof area doubling what they have now at floor level.

Obviously the shelf idea's means you raise the entire run roof area up.

If you dont want to do that - Id still cover the run top with some plyboard to add cover from the back of the hutch...just so the floor area has a larger area protected from rain - so you can put carboards boxes etc under there. Mine adore there grass tunnels...though they can get mouldy in the rain - so have to be under cover and away from damp....otherwise those canvasy tunnels work fine...even in the rain;)
Id also add a bench...for them to hop onto and hide under. I found one in the "skip"....fits perfectly into the run...and those wooden bridge things...fits perfectly onto them for support.

Mine also love it when I pick willow branches...a whole branch that I then stick into the run mesh - they spend time stretching up to eat the different heights of the branches.

Just some idea's I thought of.....hope it makes sense...prob. eaiser if I explained in person or drew a pic! Goodluck! Its hard to make the runs work when they are small...Ive got the same size run, but seperate form the hutches...and I now want an aviary!:lol::love:

oooh...Ive also got a paving slab in the run...the buns often lay on it when they are hot;):wave:

Hey, thanks for taking the time to write all that!

I'm afraid I cant raise the run as high as the hutch, as its right in front of a window, and its not my house. I would love to have an aviary though, I hope to have one, one day.

I am definately going to try to get a dig box, not sure if they will use it though as they arent big diggers. Not sure how I'd manage to keep the run from becoming all muddy either :? Barney has issues grooming so I'd like to avoid him getting caked in wet mud. Any suggestions? There is a huge white sink I could use (dont ask, people who lived here before left all sorts of stuff in the garden :roll:) but it takes two people to lift so I wouldnt be able to clean under it very often at all.

Yes, I agree with you about that ramp being dangerous, I am in the process of trying to design something different, I have another thread on that. The new one will be safer, less steep and have sides.

I've already got clear plastic on the hutch for rainy days, and tarpaulin for the run, although I need to get bigger tarpaulin as it doesnt cover the whole run. As the weather gets worse I need to weather proof it more, bit nervous about that as I've never done it before as the buns were inside!

Luckily most of the run is in the shade so the ground stays cool, which is good for this weather, but bad for when its raining as the ground gets so wet. Problem is when the tarpaulin is on, it keeps the ground dry but then you've got this massive puddle on top, and at some point you need to tip it all off, at which point it goes down the side/back of the and completely floods it!

The run is a little improved now, got a small cat tunnel in there now. I bought a new big willow ring too, but there's not much left :lol: Got them some hay cookies as well to give them something to do.

I think when I do the ramp/steps I will do it down to a platform, which will also be a hidey-cosy-box, so that will be something good for them. Problem is I cant figure out how to have the ramp/steps secure on the platform, and yet have the box removable so I can clean it :? I'm likely gonna do steps I think, which will be heavy, too heavy to just be supported by the roof of the hutch. Unless I just do a platform with legs instead of a box...

The run is a little improved now, got a small cat tunnel in there now. I bought a new big willow ring too, but there's not much left :lol: Got them some hay cookies as well to give them something to do.

I think when I do the ramp/steps I will do it down to a platform, which will also be a hidey-cosy-box, so that will be something good for them. Problem is I cant figure out how to have the ramp/steps secure on the platform, and yet have the box removable so I can clean it :? I'm likely gonna do steps I think, which will be heavy, too heavy to just be supported by the roof of the hutch. Unless I just do a platform with legs instead of a box...

I was trying to think of ways and came across some pics from when I had Rosie and Sky, the two half wildies who drove me demented trying to keep them amused.

SDC12101.JPG

Upturned cheap flowerpots make favourite vantage points, cut holes in storage boxes to make dens and steps and drill holes in pieces of wood then use wire ties to attach them to the run to make shelves.

Once you start it gets addictive making toys for them. You can buy some cheap bits of wood in places like b and q, thin plywood is good and if there is tarp over the run then painting it isn't essential.

Does anyone know what type of wood I need? There seems to be so many types :shock: and plyboard is either £28.85 or £62.98 at B&Q depending on whether I want soft or hard (no idea what that means!) so I dont know if I can afford ply.... I've been told chipboard is no good as it swells, but then there is mdf board, orientated strand board, hardboard and cement particle board, and I've no idea what any of those names mean!

Thank you Aliduncan, I will study that pic at a less sleepy hour for inspiration, but for now - where did you get your ply?

Back