• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this hutch sound ok for 2 rabbits...

Trixielover

Mama Doe
a 5ft double decker hutch with a 7ftx 3ft run attched? :wave: Just thinking about it because i want to adopt a rescue bun and need things perfect for the home-check (once i've decided whether to adopt or not) :)

If I was a rescue I would probably want a 7 x 4 run, or 6 x 8 attached to a 5ft double or 6ft single/double hutch or even a shed. I have two 7 x 3 runs and while I love them, I would prefer it if they were 4 ft wide. But it depends of the rescue really :wave:

I think the minimum recommended size (according to the Housing sticky) is hutch 6 x 2 x 2ft; Run 8 x 4 x 2ft. Worth looking at that sticky for good ideas.

I think the minimum recommended size (according to the Housing sticky) is hutch 6 x 2 x 2ft; Run 8 x 4 x 2ft. Worth looking at that sticky for good ideas.

This, but you should check with the rescue you plan to adopt from as well, as they will have guidelines as to what they are looking for.

Good luck with your adoption :)

If I was a rescue I would probably want a 7 x 4 run, or 6 x 8 attached to a 5ft double or 6ft single/double hutch or even a shed. I have two 7 x 3 runs and while I love them, I would prefer it if they were 4 ft wide. But it depends of the rescue really :wave:

Just measured again, the width is 3ft 9"... would that be ok or do i need to come up with a plan to make it bigger. :?

I'd have to reitterate what has already been said and suggest you speak to the rescue you wish to adopt from. Not only does it need to meet the individual requirements of the rescue involved but, for example if I were rehoming to you, it would entirely depend on the rabbits you wanted to adopt as a double storey hutch does not suit every rabbit and some bunnies need much more space than others.

My rescue has a minimum requirement but most of the rabbits here actually need way more than the minimum I suggest.

Every rabbit is rehomed as an individual with individual needs.

So I'd have a chat to the rescue you have in mind, that way you will know for sure.

The minimum size reccommended by the RWAF is 6x2ft hutch attached to an 8x4ft run: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm
Most rescues go by this or the RWAF's previous reccommendation which was 6x2 hutch attached to a 6x4 run. Some ask for more than the minimum guidlines though, as they are just that: a minimum.

It also depends on the buns, their size and activity levels, and how much time they will have access to the run for and whether they will free-range as well.

Bear in mind that hutch and run will be a pain to attach to each other, and will look odd together too, so I'd rethink and get something bigger, even if it means you have to save for a while to get it, it will be a lot cheaper in the long run to get it right first time.

If i did adopt her, after i had saved some money, i would buy things to extend their space (a run/panels,etc. or maybe even a playhouse). ;)

Might contact them tomorrow and see what they say.:)

If i did adopt her, after i had saved some money, i would buy things to extend their space (a run/panels,etc. or maybe even a playhouse). ;)

Might contact them tomorrow and see what they say.:)

To be honest, that is a much more expensive way of doing things, I know because it has cost me £200 so far and will end up costing more eventually when I upgrade again. It is also easier said than done.

If you could provide a bigger run, I'm sure the hutch would be okay for two small rabbits. I know it doesnt sound much smaller than the reccommended, but the run you've got gives 21sqft, whereas the reccommended 8x4 gives 32sqft, so it is quite a big difference. 3ft wide doesnt give enough room for running laps or sideways binkies IMO, in fact I think 4ft a little on the small side but then it is a minimum.

The thing is, I have no money! I have the double hutch with run but how do I extend my space without buying a new run? Well at the moment, I am thinking of getting a cheap playhouse and attaching the run but might not happen for a while! Any suggestions? I suppose i could find money for cheap nessarcery thing but can't find anything!

If you have no money, a rabbit isnt really the best thing to be getting right now. Why not wait and save up and get them when you are in a better financial position to give them everything they need?

If you really must get these rabbits, could you build a run yourself? It is meant to be easy to do.

Back