• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

24 hour access to run?

Castor

Young Bun
Should I allow my rabbits access to their run overnight or should they be shut up in their shed?

Any thoughts?

depends I think on what your local area is like - foxes, cats any predators really.

and how secure your run is? and if it has a sheltered area they can hide in?

personally i wouldnt as Im a worry wort..

Is their run 100% predator proof with access for them to the shed? If so then I would say you could leave them out.

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.
I think the run is predator proof. It is all wire with mesh under the turf and 8" long tent pegs spaced every 2" around the bottom of the run. And yes they do have access to their shed through a tunnel.

Yes but only if it's definitely 100% secure, including floor + ceiling and the join onto the hutch. Padlocks are good too.

Mine have 24/7 access to their runs (which are attached to the sheds). I figure if it's considered 'fox proof' during the day, then it's fox proof during the night too :D.

Mine have 24/7 access too as they are most active when I am not :lol: They are in a enclosed shed aviary set up though so they are secure and safe :D

Mine have 24/7 access, but the set up is on concrete, has a solid roof and is unmoveable - even a person would be hard pressed to get in without tools!

If you can dislodge the run at any point by shoving it, don't risk it until its completely safe.. Foxes are persistent and strong.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!
My run is very heavy and secure, and the tunnel is bolted to both the shed and the run.
I really think the rabbits would love 24/7 access to the run, especially this time of year, when dawn is so early and sunset so late. Although they are both currently under the tarpauline cover hoping the rain will eventually stop.

Back