• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to leave Louis at the vets :( u/d got to stay overnight/now home and fine

Wilbur

Mama Doe
:DFeeling very anxious as I had to leave Louis at the vets just now. I fed him this morning and he seemed fine. When I got back from work at 3pm I opened their shed so that they could go into the garden as usual. It wasn't until about 3.30pm I noticed that I hadn't seen Louis. I check and he was stretched out in the run. This is really unusual as he always comes out into the garden. I tried tempting him with a carrot crunchie. He had a nibble then left it, normally he'd bite my finger off for it. Managed to get him out of the run and he then went into the garden and just flopped, I tried tempting him with his other favourite foods but he just turned away, He looked really unhappy so I phoned the vets. They said the next appointment was 5.50pm but I could bring him in and leave him and they'd see him between appointments, which I've done. But I feel realling anxious having left him. Does anyone elses vets do this? I thought it was better to get him there sooner as I wasn't sure how long he hadn't eaten for, but now wonder if I shouldn't have waited and taken him when I would have an appointment. He has his friend with him and I did leave a bag of food.

They are such a worry, he is 7 years old, it could be his teeth. Sorry to write such an essay but it does help to offload to people who understand.

Thanks for reading. X

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. We had the same with Bo last week when she fractured her hind leg, we had to leave her at the vets all day.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks for replying. have just had a phone call from the vets. They can't find anything wrong but he is obviously uncomfortable so they have given him gut stimulant and pain relief. They are keeping him in until tomorrow to make sure he's ok. Another anxiety I have is that they don't have anyone in the vets from 8pm to 8am so I'm concerned that if he doesn't eat all that time he'll be worse. If he was home I could check regularly. I suppose he has got Jess with him and will have settled down in the pen there. I suppose if they thought it was a risk they would tell me to take him home and syringe feed him.

I shall worry all night. :(

I know exactly how you're feeling but I'm sure the medication he's had will have him back to normal in no time. You've obviously caught it early so fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. My vets is unmanned overnight too,although they did take Pea home with them once when they thought she wouldn't make it thought the night.

Try not to worry - I'm sure they wouldn't have left him if they thought he was in any danger. He'll probably be rattling the bars of his cage demanding to be let out in the morning :lol:.

Good news Louis is home and eating normally! I was so anxious. Thanks for the replies. Not sure what the problem was, vet couldn't find anything wrong apart from the fact he wouldn't eat and seemed in pain. I wonder if he ate an unripe plum. We have some falling off the tree at the moment, he does sometimes eat them, maybe he picked a particularly green one. :roll:

I think they'll be the death of me I worry so much.:oops:

Back