• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is moss safe?

nessar

Warren Veteran
My run is on a stone/paved bit of the garden, but with all this horrid weather lots of moss is growing in the concrete gaps between the stones, along with mushrooms.

I've been removing the mushrooms as soon as I see them, but I cant get rid of all the moss. They dont seem keen to eat either of them, but is moss safe?

Moss is toxic to rabbits so you best clear it if you want to let them out there :)

My first bun Lopsie used to eat a lot of moss. The stuff that grows in the grass and makes it all spongy. He was okay... I hope he wasn't eating something toxic. :shock:

Dont know what to do now... I'm away now until saturday and someone else is looking after the buns, and it would be impossible to get rid of all the moss anyway, because its growing in all the cracks. I got most of the big clumps out....

They cant stay in their hutch all day every day, but I dont want thme to get ill because of the moss :s

You can try putting pieces of board over the stone paved part to cover the moss for now. it shouldn't make a difference to the bunnies!!!
I really hope this helps!!!!!

You can try putting pieces of board over the stone paved part to cover the moss for now. it shouldn't make a difference to the bunnies!!!
I really hope this helps!!!!!

Thanks for trying to help :) Its 8ftx6ft of stone, the whole run is on it :( and I'm not there either, not till saturday, my auntie is kindly looking after them.

Thing is, Barney is a big bun and Anna is very active, and they hate being confined to the 6x2ft hutch even overnight, before I moved they were free-ranging house bunnies, so even the big run is a step down for them. Keeping them in their hutch all week would be cruel.

Different sources seem to say different things about moss, and some say some types are safe and others arent. Does anyone know what species common garden moss is?

Jet wash, we jet wash our patio at least once a year, because of moss and other nasty slimeys that make the patios and paths a hazard, The jet wash clears everything quickly and cleanly

My advice is really not to worry this week and then clear it off when you come home. Or, if you're really concerned, get a few large pieces of cardboard or a fleece blanket and cover the floor.
My rabbits have gone out on moss practically daily for the last 2 years and haven't eaten it or suffered any ill effects. It may not be safe to eat but I don't think it's at all appealing for rabbits so I'd be surprised if they did eat it.

I really wouldn't worry sweetie, as has been said they are unlikely to eat it. Those buns who have seem unaffected. I suspect the statement that moss is toxic is the result of tests involving huge amounts as the only food stuff in safety trials.
If it is any consolation, comfrey is supposedly toxic as a result of such trials and I'm not very dead;)
I'm not saying to ignore the info, but sometimes you just gotta let things be, getting rid of moss is like trying to stop the tide:lol:

I wouldn't worry about the moss. If the rabbits were going to eat it, they would have done by now. When you get round to it, you could scrape it out of the cracks and brush in some sand, or a cement mix to grout it. The moss is growing there because it can. Personally, I would leave it, or maybe scrape it out with a trowel now and again to look neater. Taking the moss out may encourage other weeds to grow there instead - which just means more work, in my experience. Weedkiller (including moss killer) is not to be recommended around pets.

Moss toxic? That would explain that heaps of dead rabbits everywhere. No, wait, there are no heaps.

I suspect the statement that moss is toxic is the result of tests involving huge amounts as the only food stuff in safety trials.

I suspect it's some kind of internet wisdom, like this apple seed myth. A kernel of truth somewhere, in theory at least, distorted and posted as fact over and over again.

Back