• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5x2x2 hutch for giant bunnies?

Jess2107

Warren Scout
Correct me if im wrong..
Just seen an advertisement on a facebook page where a lady buys and sells hutches.. Shes selling a 5ftx2x2 and she reckons its big enough for a giant rabbit???
Surely thats not big enough?

Given the RWA say 44sqft for two small-medium bunnies I think we can safely say that a htuch that size for a giant bunny is FAR too small- but then common sense told us bunny lovers that anyway. Very sad.

Well the guidelines for hutches which support the animal welfare act suggest that a rabbit should be able to take 3 hops lengthways, be able to lie fully stretched out in any direction, and stand and stretch upwards without touching the roof. An average giant is probably about 3ft long and can stretch up to about 4ft with ears up, and even my Netherlands dwarves can take in 5ft in 3 hops so I would say that rules out a hutch completely for a giant as it would need to be about 3-ft deep, 4ft high and about 10ft long to meet that guideline! Keeping a giant in a hutch that size would be incredibly cruel.

Thanks, I was just making sure. I dont use a hutch for mine.. Didnt even think they could go in a hutch tbh?
Im dying to comment on it but dont want to cause an argument lol x

a 6x2x2 is for small-medium rabbits so a 5x2x2 is WAY too small for giants

I would say that a 5x2x2 is too small for ANY rabbit never mind a huge giant rabbit.

Well I have wrote back to her comment-
Me- Hi Katt, dont take this the wrong way but this size hutch is no good for any giant bun. Any rabbit needs to be able to do good 3 hops without banging into the walls, be able to lay out sideways&longways aswell as be able to stand on their hind legs without touching the roof. A good size hutch for a giant would be 10x3x3 atleast. It would be a good hutch though just to have as a shelter if the bunny is free range 24/7. I have a 4x2x2 for my conti but she only uses it as a litter tray and spends most of her time thumping around her shed and aviary. Sorry if I cause any offence, that wasnt my intention :) xxx
6 minutes ago · Unlike.

Another person- my giants have a 5FT BY 2ft and a half foot and thats plenty big enough ,most people put the bunnies out in the day for a run around :)

.... I think I just lost that battle of my opinion.. D;

Well I have wrote back to her comment-
Me- Hi Katt, dont take this the wrong way but this size hutch is no good for any giant bun. Any rabbit needs to be able to do good 3 hops without banging into the walls, be able to lay out sideways&longways aswell as be able to stand on their hind legs without touching the roof. A good size hutch for a giant would be 10x3x3 atleast. It would be a good hutch though just to have as a shelter if the bunny is free range 24/7. I have a 4x2x2 for my conti but she only uses it as a litter tray and spends most of her time thumping around her shed and aviary. Sorry if I cause any offence, that wasnt my intention :) xxx
6 minutes ago · Unlike.

Another person- my giants have a 5FT BY 2ft and a half foot and thats plenty big enough ,most people put the bunnies out in the day for a run around :)

.... I think I just lost that battle of my opinion.. D;

there is no cure for moronitis :( giants are about 4ft long when they fully lie down, and a 2ft high hutch, their ears would be scraping the ceiling when they're just sitting, forget standing on their back legs :( the mind boggles that someone would consider a 5x2x2 hutch for something so big

I always see these tiny hutches outside the local pet shop in town and it makes me sad, then I was walking home the other day i saw a hutch in a back garden to be fair it wasnt as bad as some ive seen it was about a 5-6ft double hutch with run under but I felt sad for whatever was in it; couldnt see what was inside; just a giant water bottle on the front. My Bun doesnt realise what a life of luxury he leads lol!

To me that would only be good for guinea pigs all my bunny hutches are now 6ft by 2ft by 2ft or bigger in some cases, the bigger the better , also on a personal note i find when i can get into them i can clean better lol

Back