• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Please pairing rabbits but they both keep spraying.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, I have a 3yr old neutered male called snowy and a 4mth old Lionlop female not neutered, bonding with them has had its ups and downs they just tolerate eachother now , I have lost 2 female rabbits due to spay so was determined to not risk another. They keep spraying which I am surprised as he has been neutered she just sprays where he has been, I am getting a little fed up with it now as they are house rabbits, she still has a cage he does not. She is so adorable and tame that I am afraid to get her spayed. Advice please, Thanks

What caused your previous losses under spays?

It sounds like her hormones are going to make the bonding as difficult as possible, which is what one would expect when bonding a hormonal teenager, sadly.

What caused your previous losses under spays?

It sounds like her hormones are going to make the bonding as difficult as possible, which is what one would expect when bonding a hormonal teenager, sadly.

My last female died during the operation 3 heart attacks and finally died, my other female anasetic, and the one that did survive had nothing but gut problems,blockages and tumors because of the operation, so you see how worried i am.

My last female died during the operation 3 heart attacks and finally died, my other female anasetic, and the one that did survive had nothing but gut problems,blockages and tumors because of the operation, so you see how worried i am.

I can see why you would be worried. Were they all done by the same practice?

If not, maybe ask on here for a rabbit savvy vet in your area and look to go to the best around.

However, whilst it's so sad that your girlies died, equally, they died because you did the best you could for them, which is all anyone can do. They didn't suffer. Only you suffered, and anyone else who loved them.

I can see why you would be worried. Were they all done by the same practice?

If not, maybe ask on here for a rabbit savvy vet in your area and look to go to the best around.

However, whilst it's so sad that your girlies died, equally, they died because you did the best you could for them, which is all anyone can do. They didn't suffer. Only you suffered, and anyone else who loved them.[/QUOTE

They were at 2 different places at pets - home, still not over them now, I cannot find a proper savvy vet where I live I have looked.

Hello there. Sorry you have had such misfortune in the past but it really is the best way to have a happy couple of bunnies. I have had 14 girls spayed in the llast 2 years and even more boys and have had no problems at all. With an unspayed female she will pester the male to be mated with, especially during the breedinng season which runs between January through September. As you can see that doesn't leave muuch of the year. Pestering the boy stresses him out because he can't get her pregnant and can lead to fights. Occasionally you can get a happy couple where the girl is not spayed but it is the exception rather than the rule. We can direct you to a very good vet if you tell us whereabouts you are. The girl is still a bit young yet so perhaps the best way is to separate from the boy. I have many very happy couples and it's lovely to see them so happy and cuddled up with another bun. Let us know how things are going.

Hello there. Sorry you have had such misfortune in the past but it really is the best way to have a happy couple of bunnies. I have had 14 girls spayed in the llast 2 years and even more boys and have had no problems at all. With an unspayed female she will pester the male to be mated with, especially during the breedinng season which runs between January through September. As you can see that doesn't leave muuch of the year. Pestering the boy stresses him out because he can't get her pregnant and can lead to fights. Occasionally you can get a happy couple where the girl is not spayed but it is the exception rather than the rule. We can direct you to a very good vet if you tell us whereabouts you are. The girl is still a bit young yet so perhaps the best way is to separate from the boy. I have many very happy couples and it's lovely to see them so happy and cuddled up with another bun. Let us know how things are going.

Hi, Thanks for your advice, I live in Southampton, Hampshire.

John Chitty is an exotics expert and I have always found him to be excellent with my rabbits.

He is now mainly based in Andover but does, I think, still do a mobile clinic in Southampton and Basingstoke.

If you go on to the Anton Vets website you can ring them up and ask for details of his clinics.

Even if it meant you travelling from Southampton to Andover, I would still recommend him.

Hope this helps.

John Chitty is an exotics expert and I have always found him to be excellent with my rabbits.

He is now mainly based in Andover but does, I think, still do a mobile clinic in Southampton and Basingstoke.

If you go on to the Anton Vets website you can ring them up and ask for details of his clinics.

Even if it meant you travelling from Southampton to Andover, I would still recommend him.

Hope this helps.

His Southampton clinic is on Fridays I believe :thumb:

Back