• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing air!

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Do any of your bunnies seem to chew on nothing. I noticed that Doughnut was munching away and thought she must have ducked down for a cecal. She then stopped and a little while later just chewed for a little while. She doesn't appear to be in any pain and when I got near her she immediately started circling my feet in excitment and begging, hoping for a pellet!

Ginger does a lot when she's brewing for a dental, but Biccy occasionally does it, about 5 minutes after a caecal, when he's missed a bit and must of licked it off his gums or something :lol: :mrgreen:

Hope it's not dental. She has got bad teeth though apparently becuase her face is so flat!

I've noticed Shimmer does it from time to time. I always thought she must have found a bit of food stuck in her teeth or something :lol:

She also does it in her sleep, as though she's dreaming of munching on a big pile of hay or some parsley!

Does sound very much like dental unfortunately. Just before Mischa's last dental, the main symptoms was a half hour or so period where he was chewing air and refusing food.

Hope it's not dental. She has got bad teeth though apparently becuase her face is so flat!

Yeah, Poppy has a flat face and small jaw so has really bad teeth and one of the signs she shows when a dental is needed is chewing the air. She did it earlier but I saw a poop in her mouth :roll::lol:

Will mention it when I go for her health check and vaccines in a couple of weeks.

I haven't noticed her do it since. She does have lots of hay and also apple twigs but still think she will have problems.

As others have said it normally means were due a dental ... also Bee will chew on certain things when he needs a dental .... we have managed so long this time between dentals but were booked in again.

Back