• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strong smelling urine (moulting cause?)

Pie

Warren Veteran
Hi all. Well it's THAT time of year again... Yes moulting everywhere and that seems to mean chewing everything in sight that has the properties of either paper or rubber/soft plastics :roll:
But something I have noticed that also comes and goes is Oberons urine (I think) starts to smell very strong. Of what I don't know, just very musty(?) and potent. At first I thought it was him just being a stinky male :)oops:) but it only happens when he moults. He is prone to UTI's but hasn't had one for a few months and they never contain blood or cause him pain, just makes him loose slight control of his peeing.
Has anyone else had this? I am having to disinfect all the litter trays fully and rinse a few times just to get the smell off, not to mention spray the carpet with stuff I make to stop the smell from getting into it.

It's not really an issue, I just would like to know the possible reason why. Thanks people :wave:

Hi all. Well it's THAT time of year again... Yes moulting everywhere and that seems to mean chewing everything in sight that has the properties of either paper or rubber/soft plastics :roll:
But something I have noticed that also comes and goes is Oberons urine (I think) starts to smell very strong. Of what I don't know, just very musty(?) and potent. At first I thought it was him just being a stinky male :)oops:) but it only happens when he moults. He is prone to UTI's but hasn't had one for a few months and they never contain blood or cause him pain, just makes him loose slight control of his peeing.
Has anyone else had this? I am having to disinfect all the litter trays fully and rinse a few times just to get the smell off, not to mention spray the carpet with stuff I make to stop the smell from getting into it.

It's not really an issue, I just would like to know the possible reason why. Thanks people :wave:

Cant help with the urine issue, but the bit in bold means that his gut is feeling a bit sluggish (due to moulting) so hes trying to get more fiber into his diet :wave: (and will probably still chew that over a bale of hay :lol:)

Cant help with the urine issue, but the bit in bold means that his gut is feeling a bit sluggish (due to moulting) so hes trying to get more fiber into his diet :wave: (and will probably still chew that over a bale of hay :lol:)

Yea I know about that. I am literally giving him everything he needs (luckily it's Pie with the tummy issues!). But he just seems to go out of his way to nom on something he's not supposed to! :roll: 1KG of hay in 2 days for 2 small 1.4kg bunnies AND coltsfoot AND pellets and yet nooooo, he still wants to chew my car insurance details! :lol:

Thanks minilop :wave: I am sitting next to the litter tray now and it's really not a pleasant smell so would love to know about what's causing it!

Marnie has really stinky wee....we've had all sorts of tests done but there is nothing wrong with her....she just has stinky wee.
She's eating everything in sight at the moment...so far in the last week I've lost 2 spatulas, a dish brush and a plunger.

Hope there is nothing untoward causeing the stinkiness.

Back