• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit is trying to eat hay but not eating it?

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Hi Binky is an indoor, 5yr old, male, rescue, mini lop who when he was young had econoculi, and 6 months ago turned blind due to cataracts (vet said not to operate as they will grow back). He is a very happy rabbit and he enjoys running around as if he isn't blind and lying with Smudge our female rescue mini lop.

He has gradually been going off his pellets, and yesterday morning was unresponsive so we took him to the vets who says he has an inner (I think) ear infection and gave him an injection of antibiotics. We have a four day course to give him via his mouth, and are to go back to the vets on Tuesday. Binky has picked up, is running around and now is happy to eat herbs, carrot ,fruit, and pellets however he noses the hay but seems to only eat a tiny amount. As if he has a problem picking it up however the vet has said his teeth are fine. He usually eats 90% hay and I am concerned he will get tummy problems from not eating enough hay. He had lost weight in April the vet noted, and since then he has gone from 160 to 150 yesterday.

Do you think I should cut up some hay and mix it with banana to see if this is easier to eat?
Should I give him more veg and pellets (science selective for mature rabbits) to make up for less hay?
Would a hay cake be just as good as normal hay?

Advice for my brave bunny would be greately appreciated. Thank you. Nicole

I'd still possibly say teeth. Even the best vet can't see every rabbits teeth unless the rabbit is out, its just not possible.

I'd have this reinvestigated, as you say normally he's a great hay eater.

I thought this also

Thanks, for this we thought that maybe as well. If it is his teeth Binky has already had one major op on his teeth to grind the inside bit down, and I'm not sure how fair it is to put him through it again. What do you think?

Could you ask your vet whether they would consider it worthwhile to do a skull x-ray? This way they can assess if there are any problems with the tooth roots and rule out any other problems in that area too. They could do a dental if necessary at the same time.

Hope he feels better soon. I don't know if you have a lawn but grass (or dried grass like Readigrass) might be easier for him to eat instead of the hay as its a bit softer.

Good Idea I'll try grass when I get home. I've just been on Galen's Garden website and they have hay pellets do you think that would be the same good as hay?

Good Idea I'll try grass when I get home. I've just been on Galen's Garden website and they have hay pellets do you think that would be the same good as hay?

I'm not sure sorry. Galen's Garden do a good range of dried leaves too some of which have high fibre content which might also help him. Really hope he starts to feel better soon.

Yes, I'd ask about a skull x-ray to examine the tooth roots and do any necessary work.
Hope your brave boy picks up soon.

Back