• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bluebell has fur loss/bald spot on back

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
I was just checking bluebell yesterday and noticed a bald spot about a couple of inches long on her back, the skin looks slightly flaky and a tiny bit red but shes not scratching it or anything but her husband does lick that area.

Now she has had the problem with a type of wet eczema on her lady bits a few months ago but this completely cleared up with the steroid cream the vet gave me and her losing weight.

She also had the combined vacci about three weeks ago.

Also she did get cat fleas a few weeks ago and I noticed her skin quite flakey and a bit thin on that bit on her back so I put advantage on her and put some on that flakey bit of skin, could this have irritated it? In the past she has had problems with flakey skin and I did treat her with both ivermectin and advantage at the time and it cleared up. Its strange but if any of my cats get fleas they seem to like bluebell but they don't seem to affect any of my other three buns?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
sounds like it could be cheyletiella mites, if the flakes move at all, it is ver very likely as this condition is sometimes called 'walking dandruff'
can you post a picture ? might help some on here diagnose for you

here's what Gus' back looked like when he had it (not the greatest pic)

Gusback.jpg

It could be although when a few months ago when she had the flaky skin I looked at some under the microscope and found something that looked like a headlouse? I was really confused and the vet was as well but i treated her with ivermectin. I then noticed a few days later that my daughter had head lice! I don't know if human headlice live on rabbits but there was one on her...whether it had randomly fallen on her and it was actually mites that were the problem I'm not sure.

Anyway I will treat her with ivermectin again I was just worried that putting the flea treatment on had agrivated the area so wasn't sure whether ivermectin would agravate her skin again.

Has anyone heard of the combined vacc causing hair loss as it seems in the area where she was injected?

Pie recently had this actually. She started showing the typical signs of mites on her ears and tail. Got her treated for the common mite (even though the vet could only see the eggs). I can't remember what she gave her and Oberon but it was a small tube of liquid put between their shoulder blades (*might* have been Xeno something). Like the lea treatment you get for cats and dogs (but wasn't the same obviously!)
After a week everything cleared up. But then she lost most of the hair from her tail and started going bald where the liquid went. This then turned into her moult-line. But after 3 weeks, her tail shows no signs of recovering :?

It could be although when a few months ago when she had the flaky skin I looked at some under the microscope and found something that looked like a headlouse? I was really confused and the vet was as well but i treated her with ivermectin. I then noticed a few days later that my daughter had head lice! I don't know if human headlice live on rabbits but there was one on her...whether it had randomly fallen on her and it was actually mites that were the problem I'm not sure.

Anyway I will treat her with ivermectin again I was just worried that putting the flea treatment on had agrivated the area so wasn't sure whether ivermectin would agravate her skin again.

Has anyone heard of the combined vacc causing hair loss as it seems in the area where she was injected?

mabel http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?344666-poor-mabel :wave:

thanks guys...sorry I didn't end up treating this as Bluebell got a respiratory infection so was more concerned about that. Anyway the fur is growing back now. I did treat her for fleas though so i think it was that I think if she gets cat fleas she gets a bit of a reaction. The vet said it was too far down on her back for it to be where the vacc was done. I am going to treat her for mites in a couple of weeks anyway just to make sure but with her having flea treatment then her vaccinations and then antibiotics I don't want to give her anything else for a couple of weeks.

Back