Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 35 leeds buns; possible EC warning.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Mama Doe elis-mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    leeds west yorkshire
    Posts
    2,429

    Default 35 leeds buns; possible EC warning.

    as some of you may know i took in as a foster 2 of the 35 leeds bunnies Angus and Rosie. we sadly lost Rosie a few weeks ago which led me to the decision to keep Angus and once all vaccinated etc i am hoping to bond him in with my 3.

    i had him to the vet for his jabs last friday and Natalie my vet mentioned a strange cloudiness in one of his eyes which you can only see in certain lights. i had seen it before just to glimpse but thought it was just the way the light caught him but she says it could be the start of EC.

    i have started him on a 28 day course of lapizole as she says it isn't definate and without blood tests she can't be 100% sure.
    meanwhile she says to put off any bonding plans and see if he improves with the wormer. if there is no improvement i will get him tested and hope we can sort him quickly.

    this poor guy has been through so much, bad start, lost his mate who he adored and now this.

    so anyone out there who still has any of the leeds buns please be aware of the possibility as my vet says it is highly contagious... is all this info sounding right to people out there in the know?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elis-mum View Post
    as some of you may know i took in as a foster 2 of the 35 leeds bunnies Angus and Rosie. we sadly lost Rosie a few weeks ago which led me to the decision to keep Angus and once all vaccinated etc i am hoping to bond him in with my 3.

    i had him to the vet for his jabs last friday and Natalie my vet mentioned a strange cloudiness in one of his eyes which you can only see in certain lights. i had seen it before just to glimpse but thought it was just the way the light caught him but she says it could be the start of EC.

    i have started him on a 28 day course of lapizole as she says it isn't definate and without blood tests she can't be 100% sure.
    meanwhile she says to put off any bonding plans and see if he improves with the wormer. if there is no improvement i will get him tested and hope we can sort him quickly.

    this poor guy has been through so much, bad start, lost his mate who he adored and now this.

    so anyone out there who still has any of the leeds buns please be aware of the possibility as my vet says it is highly contagious... is all this info sounding right to people out there in the know
    ?
    It's estimated that 50% of domestic rabbits have been exposed to spores of EC (which are shed in urine) and therefore I would estimate 50% to be carriers. Just over a year ago re EC I commented to my vet that because I had eight rabbits from different sources the chances of them all being clear of EC was pretty much negligable, to which she nodded. A couple of months later Artie developed kidney stones and was tested for EC - he had one of the highest readings they've ever seen.That could have been because the infection was active at that time.

    I'm sure somebody will be able to add some very informative links but really just wanted to say that I would nearly expect rabbits from the Leeds 35 situation to be carriers of EC - not that that would put me off either fostering or adopting them because I'd have a fairly high expectation of any rabbit to have been exposed to it.

    Also, I'd also consider it a bit of a lottery as to how much damage it does. It might stay inactive and not be known about to the owner but if the rabbit becomes ill with something else then EC could well take hold if it's there in the background.
    Last edited by Bunny Buddy; 12-06-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  3. #3
    Mama Doe elis-mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    leeds west yorkshire
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    thankyou Bunny Buddy.

    i would keep Angus now no matter what was thrown at us with him, he is such a friendly little man and i want to try give him the home he deserves. i hate him being alone though as he is so sociable and was a great husbun.
    i know it is all for the greater good and i need to be patient but i want him bonded with my lot NOW!

    i will just continue with his treatment and do what needs to be done if it arises.

    my vet also blamed his poor background on the possibilities of him having EC but i wasn't aware so many carry it.
    i hope Artie recovered, thankyou.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Honeybunnies Leicester
    Posts
    34,150

    Default

    so sad..I did actually put on the original appeal thread that the buns looked scraggy and I advised to quarantine and panacur them for 28 days.in the original pics one looks to have a white patch in his eye as well as the general "thin" look
    Jill

  5. #5
    Mama Doe elis-mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    leeds west yorkshire
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    i never saw that or i would have looked into it further.

    will the lapizole do the trick if it is EC does anyone know?
    luckily he has been quarentined since i got him. i always see to my 3 guys before Angus and wash my hands after handling him. i'd hate for him to go through anything else now.

  6. #6

    Default

    It depends what you are meaning by do the trick.

    If a rabbit has EC you can't completely get rid of it. Using Lapizole/Panacur will reduce the number of spores so that a rabbit is less likely to get ill/suffer the effects of EC but you will not completely get rid of EC - it's just there in the background waiting for a chance to become active in the future. (Or at least this is my understanding of it).

    I doubt you'll be able to improve his eye but hopefully you will be able to stop it getting worse.

    It sounds like you've had good quarantine procedures anyway. EC is carried in spores in urine so that's the most important area for good hygiene, especially making sure that food doesn't come into contact with urine, which can be difficult if they insist on eating hay from the litter tray!

    Edit to add: The treating with Lapizole/Panacur and delaying bonding sounds like a good idea because EC often becomes active when the rabbit is under stress, so the stress of bonding could potentially cause him to be ill if he does have underlying EC.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Honeybunnies Leicester
    Posts
    34,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elis-mum View Post
    i never saw that or i would have looked into it further.

    I think it was stated on the thread that people taking these on would be advised to panacur shame that info wasn't passed on

    you will be able to bond him but the risk of EC will stay..when he is bonded it would be advisable to treat him and his neew partner for the 28 days again..you must also keep his area very clean as often EC is spread through urine
    As so many rabbits carry or have been exposed to EC..bonding him, after treatment, is no more of a risk than bonding a lot of other rabbits who may be carrying it but not showing signs
    Jill

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •