• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions on the RWAF guidelines

Saj

Alpha Buck
Hello

I am reading the RWAF hutch guidelines which say:

"The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!

A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'. "

My questions are:

1) should owners multiply the above for each rabbit they have - e.g I have two, so does that mean they need double the above amount?

2)How does size come into the equation? I have 2 dwarf rabbits who weigh just under 2 kgs.

Obviously bigger the better, but I need to know how to interpret these guidelines and have a friend who is considering rescuing some buns (who thinks I know everything...:lol:. Also, Ive heard the guidelines are changing, does anyone yet have idea of what changes?

Thanks.

My understanding is that 6x2x2 hutch with 8x4 run is for two small size rabbits. And I generally view small as under 2kg.

The guideline is for two rabbits, and no you don't double it if you want more, I think I've heard someone say you add a ft on for a certain number of extra rabbits but I'm not really sure :/ I have a trio and their hutch is 6x2 and it's fine for them, they laze around most of the day, and I've certainly never seen all three wanting to run around their hutch at the same time but even if they did there's plenty of room, it's not like they'd be falling over each other

Every rescue has different guidelines, some require much more than others so personally I'd contact the local ones first and get something that fits their criteria's

I thought the 6 x 2 was for two medium sized rabbits, not sure if it's changed or not now

Last edited:
thank you both, that really helps.

Although I personally am ok as my rabbits have more than the guidelines say, I think it would be useful for other members if anyone knows how much extra you add on for extra rabbits, the ratio etc.

Any offers?

Maybe we should actually ask the RWAF themselves! Hopefully they are reading this post with interest and will reply promptly ;)

ive won a hutch thats surpose to be 6x2x2 i carnt wait till it turns up ive never had a hutch that big :lol:

I must admit, my OH and I had fallen into the trap of inappropriate sizing and have actually just been measuring up outside to try and give our bun the biggest space possible. we are also considering getting another one in the future (once we have housing completely sorted out!).

This has helped massively, as I must admit, I was starting to get a little worried over the guidelines. I read that the RSPCA are still completing research before advising official guidelines although one would assume (I know you should never assume!!) they wouldn't be that different....

Now we have the hard task of a DIY run to plan and build.

Thank you!!!

I must admit, my OH and I had fallen into the trap of inappropriate sizing and have actually just been measuring up outside to try and give our bun the biggest space possible. we are also considering getting another one in the future (once we have housing completely sorted out!).

This has helped massively, as I must admit, I was starting to get a little worried over the guidelines. I read that the RSPCA are still completing research before advising official guidelines although one would assume (I know you should never assume!!) they wouldn't be that different....

Now we have the hard task of a DIY run to plan and build.

Thank you!!!

Last year the RSPCA were asking for exhibitors opinions on the best hutch size for each breed (so got around 2/3ft for dwarfs/mini lops, 3ft for small rabbits, 4ft for medium, I was at one of the club meetings where people were asked, although I have a feeling the RSPCA might just ignore it completely because they're hardly going to recommend a 2ft hutch for any rabbit

Really 2ft??!!

We have a little mini lop who is about 2kg, we brought a 3ft x 2ft two tier hutch :oops: (feel very shamed admitting this!) thinking it was big enough after taking some bad advice..

We now have a plan which will extend to 4-4.5ft wide and an additional fully connected run of 8ft x 4ft.

It is under the guidelines, we feel it would be more than enough space of our one, and once complete, we will go for full dims to see if it is big enough for 2 mini's.

That's interesting about the RSPCA, although it sounds like it wasn't official and perhaps some exhibitors were commercial breeders rather than welfare people - so I'd treat it with a pinch of salt in case.

I wouldnt be embarrassed, a lot of us started of with inadequate accommodation, including myself. But the important thing is we realise this, admit it and seek advice - following good advice on this forum and looking at the housing thread, I attached a 8 by 4 ft run and covered the bottom part of the long run bit under my 4ft hutch to make another hutch area. Now I am looking at getting a bigger hutch and attaching this aswell. And then getting creative to make it pretty with some cuprinol paint and flowery decorations outside! Will post pics when done if half decent!

The problem is that there is there is a limited supply out there of really large hutches (like 8foot) and good sized runs attached. I asked 3 local carpenters for quotes, not one of them even responded to me! But it's forcing me to do DIY which makes me feel good about myself and stops me watching rubbish telly!

Thank you, it does make me feel better, plus if we get a bigger home we can rescue one too!! :)

I actually can't wait to start building it (well holding the nails for the other half!!)

hutch size

hi, im interested in this as my hutch, medium apex from petplanet ( sorry i cant link the advert) said on the advert that it met the guidelines and i bought it, but then realised it isnt , however as my rabbits are exercised in the house we have been able to manage but are having to get a run constucted to get more space thats not reliant on me being at home, if anyone is considering this hutch and has a hutch shy or aggressive rabbit please dont as its a nightmare to get your rabbits out. ps its 5 foot by neary 3 but very tall.

Last edited:
that's false and misleading advertising! might be worth writing to them to tell them this? and quote the actual guidelines.

sad when sellers undermine the good work of rabbit rescuers and the rwaf. we rabbit lovers have to be wary. I have seen some hutches online where it says "enough for 2 rabbits" etc and the things are only around 4ft wide

we should all make a list of suppliers to avoid (if this hasnt been done already?:oops:)

hutch

yes thats the one, on sale at 125.00 when i bought it and before i had found rabbit forums and learnt more, well made but door size really lets it down and not big enough, i see what you mean about it implying its for bigger rabbits aswell. It also has no nest box in and ive had to put them in myself, beautiful to look at and the height of it is brilliant but the apex has so much wasted space im going to put another level like a shelf in when i can. overall i wish i hadnt bought it but have to make do and adapt. I think it is worth pointing out to pet planet the point about the guidelines, will try give them a call or email this afternoon.

Back