Thread: Questions on the RWAF guidelines

Hybrid View

Alpha Buck

Default Questions on the RWAF guidelines

Hello

I am reading the RWAF hutch guidelines which say:

"The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!

A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'. "

My questions are:

1) should owners multiply the above for each rabbit they have - e.g I have two, so does that mean they need double the above amount?

2)How does size come into the equation? I have 2 dwarf rabbits who weigh just under 2 kgs.

Obviously bigger the better, but I need to know how to interpret these guidelines and have a friend who is considering rescuing some buns (who thinks I know everything.... Also, Ive heard the guidelines are changing, does anyone yet have idea of what changes?

Thanks.

My understanding is that 6x2x2 hutch with 8x4 run is for two small size rabbits. And I generally view small as under 2kg.

Photography / Mischa / Mini / Nutmeg / Smudge
    HOUSING STICKIES: INDOOR / OUTDOOR
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES
    GET WELL SOON SCHUMI!

The guideline is for two rabbits, and no you don't double it if you want more, I think I've heard someone say you add a ft on for a certain number of extra rabbits but I'm not really sure :/ I have a trio and their hutch is 6x2 and it's fine for them, they laze around most of the day, and I've certainly never seen all three wanting to run around their hutch at the same time but even if they did there's plenty of room, it's not like they'd be falling over each other

Every rescue has different guidelines, some require much more than others so personally I'd contact the local ones first and get something that fits their criteria's

I thought the 6 x 2 was for two medium sized rabbits, not sure if it's changed or not now
    Last edited by DemiS; 09-06-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Baby, Harley, Nami, Flash and Rory (RIP) ♥ Ask me about breeds/colours/genetics

Alpha Buck

thank you both, that really helps.

Although I personally am ok as my rabbits have more than the guidelines say, I think it would be useful for other members if anyone knows how much extra you add on for extra rabbits, the ratio etc.

Any offers?

Maybe we should actually ask the RWAF themselves! Hopefully they are reading this post with interest and will reply promptly

ive won a hutch thats surpose to be 6x2x2 i carnt wait till it turns up ive never had a hutch that big
    Subscibe to Lucy1666 for all types of pet care videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lucy1666

I must admit, my OH and I had fallen into the trap of inappropriate sizing and have actually just been measuring up outside to try and give our bun the biggest space possible. we are also considering getting another one in the future (once we have housing completely sorted out!).

This has helped massively, as I must admit, I was starting to get a little worried over the guidelines. I read that the RSPCA are still completing research before advising official guidelines although one would assume (I know you should never assume!!) they wouldn't be that different....

Now we have the hard task of a DIY run to plan and build.

Thank you!!!