• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pantoea????

MichG

Mama Doe
Anyone come across this? My poppy has been sneezing a lot and baytril seems to have kept the symptoms at bay but not cured her. We did nasal swabs and they have come back as Pantoea. I can't find any info on rabbits specifically. The vet where I work (not very rabbit savvy) has never heard of it. My normal exotic vet text me to apologise for not calling me but to give her septrin. She is days off until Friday.

Anyone know anything at all about it??

There are more bacteria in this world than any other species I understand. From a quick google it appears to be a gram negative enterobacterium. Colonisation of the upper respiratory tract can be from multiple organisms, some are normal colonisers, some less so. For example we carry Staph and Strep on our skin and in our mouths/noses quite commonly.

I found this from Dana Krempels a respected rabbit expert (not vet) http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2009/9/Safe-antibiotics.htm so it would appear your Poppy is not the only one to throw this up in a culture and sensitivity test. Hopefully the right sort of antibiotics targeted to gram negative bacteria will do the trick x

ETA ah-ha I skim read initially - reading again it appears to be a common pathogen associated with tooth root infection - which might explain the recurrent sneezing. Has your bun had skull Xrays?

My bun's culture and sensitivity test has just come back as positive for pantonea, I would be interested to share the OP's experience on this.

My bun's culture and sensitivity test has just come back as positive for pantonea, I would be interested to share the OP's experience on this.

hi,

poppy is fully recovered now. We put her on daily injections of Engimycin and oral baytril for 6 weeks.
It is a really tough bug to get rid of so a really long course is necessary. Baytrul helped a bit on its own but did not get rid of it fully. I also bought a nebuliser off amazon and have nebulised her with saline and f10 for 20 minutes twice a day. Feel free to pm me as U get notifications to my phone of a new pm.

Hope your little one is ok

So glad she's doing well. :wave:

Me too. Faye and I thought we were going to lose her at one point.
She ended up with impaction twice at the same time as having treatment for the Pantoea :cry:
Faye is amazing.

I don't know if anyone still watches this site , December fifth 2018, we rescued a bunny in march who turned out to be sick (with what they thought was pneumonia or uri ) we thought pasturella but he only had 1 symptom that was a sneeze ... he died in august he was on 3 months of antibiotics with no luck... in march our cat got sick the a few days after the rabbit (fish has been sick since march almost going on 1 year now) & my guinea pig has gotten ill in august his test come back positive for pantoea aggolermans and I don't even think our vet knows what it is , there is no vets around here that know and none that will treat our pets because they are only having a sneeze as the symptoms..

Hi sorry to bother you but my rabbit is going through to at the moment
Did Poppy ever get it back after the injections? x

Did you find out anymore about it?
Our rabbits sick at the moment
Did it come from the cat? Our cats always sneezing with red eyes

I woud suggest that the cat is examined looked at by a vet. Is it vaccinated? There are respiratory diseases in cats which can cause permanent damage if not treated.

A sick rabbit needs to be examined by a vet as a matter of urgency. As a prey species, they hide their symptoms, so a rabbit that appears sick is in need of professional attention.

I woud suggest that the cat is examined looked at by a vet. Is it vaccinated? There are respiratory diseases in cats which can cause permanent damage if not treated.

A sick rabbit needs to be examined by a vet as a matter of urgency. As a prey species, they hide their symptoms, so a rabbit that appears sick is in need of professional attention.

This.

Back